Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 swap - Exhaust and clearence question

Recently replaced my M20 with and S50

Car drives great except with the ground clearance. I scrape over bumps every single time.

The car is too loud for my taste / headers, hi-flow cat and resonator. Vibrant brand items

Iā€™m an old man that needs a not too loud daily ā€“

What options on exhausts do you recommend to bring noise levels down? ā€“ Remember clearance is an issue as well.

Video of current setup with front windows down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx-y_JR0YA4&feature=youtu.be

Driving home for the first time with the S50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yAgXGC1BQw
    Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

You wouldn't like my cammed S50 with 3" exhaust then lol! I have a HFC, Res, and muffler and it's wayyyy too loud. I tucked the exhaust as much as I could when I built it. I "clearanced" the pipe where it runs under the trans mount. That's where I have the most issues with clearance.

Comment

I have a borla pro xs muffler in the middle and a vibrant rear muffler. It's a little step down in volume from the typical single muffler/resonator combo. Borla has a bit better clearance than a vibrant resonator too, 4" thickness vs 4.5".

Switching the rear muffler would do a lot. The vibrant doesn't do much muffling.
      Check this clip out.
      e36 euro headers to Y to Magnaflow 59956 cat to orla 40358 resonator to Dynomax 17733 muffler. 2 1/2" 14 gauge tubing, mandrel bends.Total weight: 37 pound...

Comment

Thank you for you input. I'm just worry about the clearance.

I'm wondering if I can remove the resonator and get a different muffler that way I get some clearance and the noise level will change.

Comment

That's quiet. Sounds like you just wanted to show off your tunnel noises :P

I have stock manifolds, an e36 catted section 2 and an e36 catback. It's all dual with an x pipe right before the cat; my idle is almost as loud as your WOT.
          No antenna? I sell plugs!

Here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...77#post4937877

Comment

I might have to look at getting an E36 catback- or something similar and lighter and remove resonator- That thing has a very low clearance

Comment

I settled on OBDII factory manifolds with a custom center section. I run 2.5" with a Vibrant muffler and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator. The resonator tamed it down quite a bit.

Originally I had stainless headers, the clearance on them was VERY low.
              '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

magnaflow makes a slim resonator thats like 2ft long and is quite effective i run one with a no name muffler shop muffler and its very tame
                Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                Bimmerbuddies LLC
                717-388-1256
                2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeE30 View Post
                  magnaflow makes a slim resonator thats like 2ft long and is quite effective i run one with a no name muffler shop muffler and its very tame
                  Do you have a sound or video clip?

Comment

Christian, on one of the other cars I did, we used the long tube headers you have, OBD1 midsection with resonators and cats and an E36 Remus box. Insanely quiet, but makes a very nice noise when you open it up. Might be something worth looking into. Hope you're enjoying the car.

Austin
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Thank you Austin - Car is running good. I'll send you an email with some questions but so far so good :). I just need the clearance to enjoy it a little more and throw it around in the turns.

Do you recall if it was a 3" piping on the exhaust?

Comment

Originally posted by cbouchez View Post
                        Thank you Austin - Car is running good. I'll send you an email with some questions but so far so good :). I just need the clearance to enjoy it a little more and throw it around in the turns.

Do you recall if it was a 3" piping on the exhaust?
                        Glad to hear it! 2.5" from the headers to the muffler.
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Thank you man! -

Comment

This thread needs more sound clips

Comment

Working...
                            X