Oil pan mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pan mods?

As I've mentioned in a couple other threads I'm in the process of replacing the M50 the PO put in my e30 (a well done swap that I believe was tracked fairly hard). Today my wife was pulling the e34 oil pan off the M50 and saw some custom baffling and what appears to be just a random chunk of metal welded into the sump area.

I'm pretty certain there's nothing wrong with these per se but I thought I'd get opinions from those of you with more experience in such things before I end up with oil starvation at some critical moment...

The front baffle with the trap door looks fine to me and should do the job well - not much functionally different than an aftermarket piece.

No real idea about the purpose of the little tab at the back of the pan. Maybe it is to deflect oil slinging off of the crank? Does your motor have a stock "windage tray" bolted to the bottom of the mains?

Comment

It does has the windage tray from the s52 (so stock for the motor, not the pan ;).

Comment

If he tracked it hard and it worked, I'd stick with it because (as I'm sure you know) these engines have oiling issues when driven hard.

Comment

Yeah, we decided the same thing, cleaned it up and put it on the new motor. Still curious about that 'tab' at the back of the main pan area.
          sigpic
          1989 325is MTechII, M50/S52 Frankenmotor
          1997 M3/4/5

Comment

Just got tuned into this by CBR. This is my old car. I did the motor transplant. The oil pan baffling was designed by a friend of mine and based on some other kits on the market. The tab is simply there to be a bit of an obstacle to oil that wants to come up out of the sump under acceleration. My friend put it there and said, "It won't hurt anything, and it might help." So it was put there for a reason, not random.
            Last edited by kuzimmer; 03-26-2017, 12:24 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

BTW that motor had a crank scraper on it too when I sold it.

Comment

Working...
              X