Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help repairing/painting IS Airdam

Hey guys,

I bought an is airdam in pretty rough condition, but for only $10. Red will obviously not match with bronzit so I'm wondering how to go about painting.

You'll notice the paint is cracked and chip in lots of places

It's also pitted in some spots

So I guess my first question is, How do i remove all the paint? I tried wetsanding, but as far as that goes, it seemed to just smooth out the paint a little. Wetsanding won't fix the chipping paint. I then tried an orbital sander, it worked but I'm not going to be able to reach all the tight corners.

Would paint stripper work? One that is safe for plastic of course. Any other ideas?

And I didn't grab any pictures, but I picked up a rear skirt too, made from fiberglass. I need to strip that paint too and fix a couple cracks on it. Suggestions?

TIA

I've had good luck with soda blasting carbs and small trim pieces. You can DIY a soda blaster for <$50 or get a small one at Harbor Freight for around $100.

Comment

you need to use a more aggressive grit sand paper and lots of it once you get most of it off use a solvent to clean it like acetone or thinner then primer and paint and clear

Comment

Well the paint stripper I purchased did absolutely nothing. I bought sandpaper instead and saved 15$. 150 grit is working pretty well. I'm thinking I might turn this thread into how to for everyone else

Comment

I'm getting ready to tackle the same project, posting your progress would be great!

RICHTER MOTOREN

1987 e30 325is Zinno - Restoring
          2004 e46 325xi Alpine - Daily
          2003 e46 330ci Topaz - Sold
          1988 e30 325is Zinno - RIP
          2007 Honda Ody - Family Truckster

'87 325is Restoration Build

Comment

So the airdam was cracked in a two places, one on the top and on the back mounting spot. I compressed the top one, and put suger glue in the crack then put baking soda over it. It worked awesome and is pretty solid now. The back is healed too.

Sanding is working, but i need to keep going. Every once in a while I'd spray some primer down just to see what it looks like with paint over it, and in case i start sanding too much into the plastic.

You can see the super glue line on the top of the picture below:

Crack on the rear:

Repaired:

I'll start taking better pictures from now on

Comment

Eastwood has a stripper that works great and is safe for plastic "DeKote" $30 quart and has up to a 3 hr. work time. Also that super glue is not going to last, 3M has a two part epoxy that stays flexible, is made for plastic repair and works great on the ES/IS "Cow Catcher" front valance. I can send you the 3M part number and product name Monday if you want it.
              Last edited by KMOSES; 10-03-2014, 05:24 PM.

Comment

IS airdam

Here's what mine looked like,
                with the valance off the car,sanded by hand with 80 grit to remove paint, primer and sand with 100.
                Primer and sand with 200 and so on until you are satisfied with results.
                Painted with Duplicolor and clear.
                Repairs were made with aluminum stock, JB weld and pop rivets.
                Super glue isn't going to get the job done.
                Hope this helps.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	valance repair 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	7169924

Name:	valancerepair2 006.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	7169925

Name:	liprepair 001.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	7169926

Name:	lip_2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	7169927

Comment

Originally posted by KMOSES View Post
                  Eastwood has a stripper that works great and is safe for plastic "DeKote" $30 quart and has up to a 3 hr. work time. Also that super glue is not going to last, 3M has a two part epoxy that stays flexible, is made for plastic repair and works great on the ES/IS "Cow Catcher" front valance. I can send you the 3M part number and product name Monday if you want it.

Could you pm me as well? I'm removing my air dam to repair, and have been stumped as to what I should be using

sigpic

Comment

I will PM you both Monday with the 3M information.

Comment

3M EZ Sand Flexible Parts Repair (05895) 2 part Epoxy.

Name:	100_1584.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	7169969

Comment

Hey farwest, in the last picture what is that black lip under the main airdam?

Comment

looks like a Volvo lip.

Comment

What lip is that at the bottom? (Black)

Comment

I just got done using Bondos flexible bumper repair. Very strong. I drilled holes on the ends of my cracks to prevent it spreading after repairs.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X