No announcement yet.

M20 Single mass flywheel material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just remember that even something that is "forged" starts its life as a casted item.
    Yeah, but the initial metallurgy of a forging's different, too- you wouldn't forge
    something cast of grey iron (like the block is) since it would certainly crack on cooling,
    but a mild steel gains a LOT of strength for a minor loss in ductility when you forge it.

And it's improving a lot more, and faster, than I realized....

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Rods are almost always sinter forged. From my understanding, that process can leave what look like casting lines/flash if there's any excess material. I can understand why people think they're cast.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

yeah, cast rods pretty much don't exist. Maybe in a lawn mower engine but I doubt even then. The metallurgy just doesn't work.

Makes me wonder how many rods he's "seen" if he believes they were all cast - because they almost certainly werent. One thing, you can bend a rod - because it's forged steel, not cast iron. A cast iron rod would just crack (yeah, you can "break" a rod if you bend it past it's yield point, but that's another topic).

It does make it fun to chuckle a little at people who buy into marketing - aftermarket forged rods etc. Often, the stock rods are actually just fine (and nearly always forged, I don't know of any BMWs that aren't), the main advantage you get with an aftermarket rod is less weight.
        Last edited by nando; 05-05-2017, 06:28 AM.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          It does make it fun to chuckle a little at people who buy into marketing - aftermarket forged rods etc. Often, the stock rods are actually just fine (and nearly always forged, I don't know of any BMWs that aren't), the main advantage you get with an aftermarket rod is less weight.

M20 rods are definitely forged, and quite strong. I would rather a heavy m20 rod than a powder forged late model rod - which wouldn't stand up to this like an m20 did (hydro-locked)...

john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Flywheel is cast STEEL, not cast iron. Huge difference.

Comment

Working...
            X