Spam Reporting & vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30-325iS View Post
    This site maintains a list of known spammers and provides an API to check their database.
    I don't know how effective it is as they seem to come up with a new name every time.
    http://www.stopforumspam.com/
    Thank you for being helpful! Unlike others putting someone under a microscope.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Just saying it's an obvious problem. For example currently there is a whole page of spam with only 2 non spam posts in the general section. Didn't bother looking at page 2.

Comment

Originally posted by justin_l_ View Post
        Just saying it's an obvious problem. For example currently there is a whole page of spam with only 2 non spam posts in the general section. Didn't bother looking at page 2.
        Thank you for stating the obvious! And the Mod who cleaned them up has asked if there is anything that can be done. Waiting to hear back from James on the matter.

Also I know it use to be only a question on who makes the e30 and a math question. I did notice there is an image verification on there now. I checked the settings for the Spam and Human verification, looked like it was set to the max for what it is. I know James is testing newer versions for a better site.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

I've been noticing an uptick in spam posts, any news or updates on this stuff?

(No microscope intended)

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            I've been noticing an uptick in spam posts, any news or updates on this stuff?

(No microscope intended)
            Yup, seems like bots making spam accounts or something ... maybe a captcha for users under a certain post count, or email verification before new members can post?

1986 327i
            transaction feedback
            DIY thing
            meh

Comment

We are rolling out a new forum version in the next few weeks once testing is complete. The new hosting cluster is being installed next week and we will migrate the existing site over to it. upon completion we will upgrade a test environment to a new version of vbulletin and let the R3V Staff go through it before we do the cutover.

Once that is done we will utilize current spam blocking tech

Comment

I wonder if it's possible to provide a filter on a post, that if the userId has a post count < 10, they can't post text containing HTML tags.. Would seem a legit way to weed out spam /bot posts?

Though, you would need to inform new real users that they would need to hit this post count before they could post links. I think some sites had a similar policy for posting to the classified sections (i.e. you needed to hit 100 posts or something crazy like that.)
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                  We are rolling out a new forum version in the next few weeks once testing is complete. The new hosting cluster is being installed next week and we will migrate the existing site over to it. upon completion we will upgrade a test environment to a new version of vbulletin and let the R3V Staff go through it before we do the cutover.

Once that is done we will utilize current spam blocking tech
                  Ohhh how big of an update will it be? Like completely changed or just an iteration? I love r3v and am excited to see it evolve.

1991 318iS Sterlingsilber - 1989 325i Cirrusblau (sold) - 1990 318iC Brilliantrot (sold)

Comment

Working...
                  X