Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 problems

Hi guys,

I've been looking to swap a bigger engine into my 89 318i and since a few of the M20B25 engines around me cost the same as the M50 ones, I thought I'd just swap the M50 in.

I've found a used 'track car' with an M50 engine and gearbox to suit so I'm really tempted to take a look, however my Dads been telling me that the engine is probably no good since they would've 'revved it out', so I'm just looking for some advice on what to look for when going to inspect the engine and what would be the most telling signs of it coming to the end of its life, apparently its only got 80,000kms on it and its running in the car.

Here is the add - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dunsb...ion/1118847639

Thanks, Sam

I currently have a m50 swapped e30 and I'm having problems with the oil pump, the oil pumps on the m50 have a nut that is know to come lose from vibration but all that is internal, you can't really tell if it's a bad motor from the outside. If anything get a compression test done and make sure it's not leaking and fluids etc.:up:

Comment

Check for leaking fluids.

Look around the exterior of the engine for anything out of the ordinary, i.e. brittle/cracked hoses, severely worn out components, etc.

Compression test will yield good information.

If you can, listen to it run. Especially when its cold/at startup. Listen to the top end closely throughout the entire rev range.

Lots and lots of M/Sx swaps get the piss driven out of them. I wouldn't let that slow me down.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replys guys, I plan on doing a compression test on the cylinders, and Ill look more into the types of sounds, hoses and such when I take a look.

Thanks, Sam

Comment

Working...
        X