Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LS1 swap headers options (5th ben camaro exhaust manifolds?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS1 swap headers options (5th ben camaro exhaust manifolds?)

There is another thread with a very similar tittle but this one is different.

Now for the real reason for this thread, has anyone ever tried using the 5th gen (2010+) camaro exhaust manifolds when doing an ls swap? .... the manifolds look like they hug the block pretty good. If they do not fit, but they are close to fitting, can they be modified to fit by having some v-bands welded to them and/or angle milling the flanges to fit?

As of right now the only known options are sikky headers, sanderson headers or custom (very expensive).

Sikky Headers
    The headers are expensive and it looks like you have to use aftermarket control arm bushing to clear the headers. I do not like that because the ride is going to get really harsh with the aftermarket control arm bushings.

You can get them in two sizes and they come with v-bands, clamps, gaskets, and bolts.
    option a) 1 3/4" primaries and 3" collectors
    option b) 1 7/8" primaries and 3.5" collectors

Sanderson Headers
    Great price but the quality seems to suffer. The headers can be had with or without v-bands.
    1.5" primaries and 2.5" collectors

CXRacing Headers

5th Gen Camaro Exhaust Manifolds not sure if they work
    The 5th gen camaro and pontiac G8 GT share the same manifolds, so the manifolds can be found for cheap, and they hug the block pretty good. Other people that have done swaps into other cars have welded v-bands to the manifolds to get more clearance and others have gone as far as angle milling the flanges a few thousands to get even more clearence. I have no idea if they would fit and I won't be able to find out any time soon, but others might be able to give it a try and see how it goes. Here are some pictures for reference.

I don't know the size of the primaries or collectors

Not e30

Hooker 8501 Headers not sure if they work
    The hooker cast iron headers are very similar to the 5th gen manifolds because they are based on them, but they hug the block even more. The headers can be found for around $300, it just depends where you look. Unfortunately the hooker headers do not work with 2004-2006 GTO starter/bellhousings, which is the bellhousing and starter that I have. From what I have seen and been told, the GTO starter solenoid is clocked different then the f-body starter and that causes the solenoid to make contact with the header. The bellhousing on the GTO can be used as long as a GTO starter is not used, but the GTO bellhousing will have to be modified to be able to fit an f-body starter. If you do not want to modify the GTO bellhousing you can use an ls1 mini starter that doesn't have a nose or grind an f-body starter (only the ribs). Anyways, I have no idea if the hooker headers would fit an e30 and I won't be able to find out any time soon, but others might be able to give it a try and see how it goes. Here are some pictures for reference.

1 5/8" primaries and 2.25" collectors

Not e30

Not e30

Great diagram showing dimensions from 3 different sides.

Here it shows the difference of the 5th gen manifolds and the hooker headers. Note that the E-Rod engine came with ls3 corvette or 5th ben camaro manifolds, the one on the picture is from a 5th gen camaro.

I will edit this thread as I learn more information about the header options for ls swaps into e30s.
    Last edited by z28; 02-04-2020, 07:28 PM.
    First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Can't help you much there since I have sikky, but this is good info. Subbed for future reference.
    Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

Yes, the Hooker headers look like they will work.
      E30-LS1 aka. 357is
      email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
      E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
      E30LS1@gmail.com
      e30ls1.com

Comment

I'm not sure you can clear the steering shaft with those. I tried Trailblazer ss manifolds and they will not work. I ended up going with a 99 corvette manifold on the drivers side and heavily modifying it
        Last edited by Pootis; 01-07-2017, 11:38 AM.
        1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
        COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
          Yes, the Hooker headers look like they will work.
          Thats what I was thinking, they hug the block really good and they don't hang too low.

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
          I'm not sure you can clear the steering shaft with those. I tried Trailblazer ss manifolds and they waffleswaffleswaffles not work. I ended up going with a 99 corvette manifold on the drivers side and heavily modifying it
          Could you post some pictures of what you did to the corvettes drivers side manifold and of how it fits on there now, it would really help others in the future. How close was the trailblazer manifold to the steering shaft? what kind of motor mounts are you using? ... the steering shaft can be moved away on e30s with airbags, maybe it can be moved enough to clear.

Comment

Make a steering intermediate shaft with Flaming River U-joints with 17mm x 54 DIN spline and a 3/4" DD shaft.
            E30-LS1 aka. 357is
            email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
            E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
            E30LS1@gmail.com
            e30ls1.com

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
              Could you post some pictures of what you did to the corvettes drivers side manifold and of how it fits on there now, it would really help others in the future. How close was the trailblazer manifold to the steering shaft? what kind of motor mounts are you using? ... the steering shaft can be moved away on e30s with airbags, maybe it can be moved enough to clear.
              Pretty sloppy looking but you get the idea of what all you need to do

1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                Make a steering intermediate shaft with Flaming River U-joints with 17mm x 54 DIN spline and a 3/4" DD shaft.
                Yup, planning on having a 3/4" DD shaft welded to the steering shaft and using some flaming river u-joints.

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
                Pretty sloppy looking but you get the idea of what all you need to do
                As long as it works its cool, thanks for the pictures.

Comment

Found this picture of 5th gen camaro manifolds next to trailblazer ss manifolds. The trailblazer manifolds hang lower and have 3 bolt flanges vs the camaro 2 bolt flanges. Camaro manifolds seem to have more room to play with, but since camaro manifolds step out at the flanges, they might still hit the steering column.

5th gens are on top and trailblazer at the bottom.

Comment

Interesting. Well I stand corrected you may be able to sneak them by then. I know Eaven Marcum is using gto manifolds and he says they work as well

Comment

interested in the findings
                      95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                      Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                      LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

I used LS2 Manifolds from a 2007 Corvette. $150 shipped w/gaskets to my door!

Granted I mounted my engine with a solid plate.

I tried both stock Envoy and Trailblazer SS manifolds and both hit the steering linkage on the driver side. Straight block huggers empty directly into the steering rack/subframe. The LS2 Manifolds are short enough I could route the exhaust where I needed it.
                        Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                        '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                        Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                        1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                        Check us out
                        Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

I got the Sikky 3/4 headers. They stick out down real low. I would consider other headers. As mine needed to be modified at the downpipe and the exhaust still hangs lower then I would want. for $1000 they are no ideal fit based on my experience

Comment

Any updates on the header fitment?

Comment

Nothing yet, I have a set of 5th gen camaro manifolds and other parts I have been collecting but school and my internship are taking all my spare time. I graduate Spring 2018 so I should have more time and money then.

Comment

Working...
                              X