This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completed S38 Swap Roll Call

There aren't many of these swaps in the US but since we have our own section now, let's see them! I'll start:

E30: '88 M3
    Engine: S38B36
    Trans: Stock M3 (US)
    Diff: 3.73 LSD
    Engine Management: M5 ECU w/MarkD chip, ITG intake
    Cooling setup: s38b35 rails/tstat, M20 tank, custom radiator, 16" spal puller
    Brakes: stock M3 with Hawk HPS street pads, M5 MC/booster, no ABS
    Suspension: Bilstein Sport w/H&R Sport OE, late e36 M3 control arms, THR cabs, VAC 19mm RCS
    Wheels/Tires: 16x7.5 BBS RG004, Toyo R1R 225/45/16
    Exhaust: 3" single SS TIG welded: S38B36 headers > Vibrant turbo flex > MF cat > Vibrant UQ Resonator > 18" MF w/custom 2.5" tips
    Purpose: weekend street car
    Weight: 2,760 with full interior and spare
    Biggest personal swap hurdles: cooling system, getting the exhaust right

Last edited by fronton; 04-02-2014, 10:38 AM. Reason: updates

not bad, sir
    4.10 on an S38 should be very interesting

Comment

:
      :​

Last edited by Xat1cZ; 02-13-2022, 01:26 PM.
      ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

Nice, yours is the first limited edition M3 with a S38B38 I've seen or heard of.

18"s with a 3.25lsd, I'll bet that does very well on the highway. I'd love a 3.8 both for the extra power and not having a distributer cap in the way of a normal radiator but hard to obtain in the US.

How does your stock booster fit? Is the engine off center towards the passenger side an inch?

Originally posted by Xat1cZ View Post
        :D

E30: '89 Cecotto M3
        Engine: S38b38
        Trans: 265/5 Euro (dogleg), M5 clutch
        Diff: 3.25 lsd
        Engine Management: M5 DME , JimC Chip
        Cooling setup: M20 tank, small radiator (BMW, don't remember which atm) M3's stock electric fan taking care of most the cooling..
        Braking system: stock M3 brakes, ABS and stock brake booster aswell
        Suspension setup: stock Cecotto M3 EDC, TreeHouseRacing CA bushings
        Wheels/Tires: 18" Style 32, front - Yokohama ParadaSpec2 225/35R18, back- 255/35R18 (no grip problems here ;))
        Exhaust: Custom dual 2.5" stainless,
        Purpose: DailyDriver - summertime
        Biggest personal swap hurdles: engine mounts,

as for the cooling system I went the easy route and fitted the biggest possible radiator up front that I could find fit when I did the swap in April '11, was suppose to fabricate the front end and fit a bigger one this winter so that the electric fan wouldn't do all/most of the work, but long story short, the time is/was un-sufficient,

Future Plans: plans for the engine bay would be a new air filter, thinking Simota CF(GruppeM looking thing) + I'm thinking of painting the coolant tank's top half black? .. and I'd like a brake upgrade ...

not in US but I hope it's O.K to post some euro trash in here? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
          Nice, yours is the first limited edition M3 with a S38B38 I've seen or heard of.

18"s with a 3.25lsd, I'll bet that does very well on the highway. I'd love a 3.8 both for the extra power and not having a distributer cap in the way of a normal radiator but hard to obtain in the US.

How does your stock booster fit? Is the engine off center towards the passenger side an inch?
          The S38's airbox is very thick, so thick in fact that you can grind it so that it fits perfectly around/over the booster :up:, have never heard of this before but my dad who had done this swap before in the early 90's before it was "common", experimented and figured that one out back then ;)

Comment

The S38's airbox is very thick, so thick in fact that you can grind it so that it fits perfectly around/over the booster :up:, have never heard of this before but my dad who had done this swap before in the early 90's before it was "common", experimented and figured that one out back then ;)
            No way! How many mm did you shave off? Any pics of the airbox alone or before the booster went in? I wish I had a spare to mess with first.

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
              No way! How many mm did you shave off? Any pics of the airbox alone or before the booster went in? I wish I had a spare to mess with first.
              Regretfully I didn't take many pics of the swap in progress , and none of the airbox alone ... I could take you a crappy pic of how it looks as it sits but you wouldn't see much..

Having a spare would be nice for you to have for a first time ;) but if you're careful you will be able to do it... just don't take too much, little at a time,
              It is pretty safe but taking too much wouldn't be nice ;)

I don't have any spec on how much was shaven off either .. as I said , I just didn't document this swap as much as I now would have wanted too =(

EDIT: you just shave the edge off so that it "floats" with the booster , going around it ...

Comment

Those motors look right at home in E30 M3s
                -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                  Those motors look right at home in E30 M3s
                  basically looks like a S14 + 2 cylinders :up:

Comment

basically looks like a S14 + 2 cylinders :up:
                    It is, but the other way around. S14 = S38 - 2 cylinders. I heard it is called the s14 because it took just 14 days for M Gmbh to design it (lop two cylinders off the s38b35), which as we all know was originally the M88 in the M1. The s38b35 in the M3 would have been too heavy for DTM for which the M3 was designed. I read that they would have put the s38 in the street M3 but would have been too expensive, and probably too extreme at the time. So Hartge and Alpina were the only ones to offer it since their buyers had deeper pockets. Hartge went with the biggest engine available at the time which was the s38b35 for the H35-24 while Alpina used the M30B35 in the B6 3.5S.

Bottom line is that yes, these motors are right at home in E30 M3s. That is why the s38 is such a great swap- its period correct, originates from the M1, is the s14's big brother, and over 300hp.
                    Last edited by fronton; 03-09-2012, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Nice cars guys. S38 is so nice in these cars.

Cheers,

Jim
                      sigpic

Comment

My Hartge H35-24 build.......

DSC04720 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

DSC03414 by m3raul, on Flickr

DSC03416 by m3raul, on Flickr
                        Last edited by e30m3s54turbo; 12-27-2016, 08:11 PM.
                        Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

what intake is that?

Comment

what intake is that?
                            It is euro e28 m5 intake. I built this e30 m3 in 1998. I cloned H35 24 m3.
                            Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

cool thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X