No announcement yet.

M42 turbo fact thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been meaning to bump this thread also. The SR20 that replaced my never finished M42 turbo is currently being replaced.....by an M42 Turbo :D

Run down on my build:

E36 M42
    8.5:1 CP Pistons
    O-Ringed Block and Head, Copper Headgasket
    VAC Cams 275/265 (I think from memory), still running Hydraulic Lifters
    M12 ARP Headstuds
    ARP Mainstuds
    ARP Rod Bolts
    Balanced Bottom End
    M20 Clutch / Flywheel
    Remote Oil Take Off Plate w/-10 Oil Line setup, BMW Oil Cooler and 3 Quart Accusump
    Custom Turbo Manifold, 1.25" Runners, into 15 degree merge collector, T3 Flange
    Garret GT3076 w/ 0.63 Turbine Housing
    Tial MVR 44mm Gate
    Custom Inlet Manifold (along 666fab lines) with 1000cc Injector setup
    DTA S60 ECU

Will have a big fuel system behind it capable of running E85 but may go back to 98 RON Octane fuel as people have been having some issues with the consistency of the E85 out of the pump here. That decision yet to be made.

I am currently re jigging all the engine mounts and turbo manifold from last time around but hope to have it running in a month or so :)
    - Chris
    Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

build thread??

When you get this done youve got to let me know how the gt3076 is. Ive been contemplating it for my car for awhile.

Comment

No build thread till its done and working but check the link in my sig for the sr20 story. My mate has a gtx3076 with 0.82 rear housing and the thing is ridiculous. Stand on it and third gear give it a second and the tyres are turning. Before you know it 170+ on the speedo. My matenis running about 285kw at the tyres nut is out of fuel pump. With my turbo there has been a 300kw dyno sheet but I'm not sure I will push it that far regularly. Rarely get the track space to make use of it :). Once it's all workin videos and stuff will be up for public consumption.
        - Chris

Comment

Any updates? And im curious about your friends car. Is it online anywhere? build specs and what psi? Seems like you guys over there have way more m42 builds.

Comment

My Engine is at the machinist getting a light hone and sizing up new rings and bearings. There are a few M42T's getting around here and a couple in the works but info always seems scarse.

This is the engine I have purchased, prior to cams and running a 3071. Think it was running around 250-270kw in this configuration.

And my mate's car with a full built engine and the same turbo I have.

I have nearly finished the turbo manifold and dump pipe, just got to weld the EGT ports in and get it ceramic coated. The only major jobs left are the custom inlet and re-doing the engine loom. I also need to finish relocating the sway bar around the front as I have gone with a custom rear sump setup and the set the engine back about 90mm.
            Last edited by e30guydownunder; 04-21-2013, 04:21 PM.
            - Chris

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
              I have been meaning to bump this thread also. The SR20 that replaced my never finished M42 turbo is currently being replaced.....by an M42 Turbo :D

Run down on my build:

E36 M42
              8.5:1 CP Pistons
              O-Ringed Block and Head, Copper Headgasket
              VAC Cams 275/265 (I think from memory), still running Hydraulic Lifters
              M12 ARP Headstuds
              ARP Mainstuds
              ARP Rod Bolts
              Balanced Bottom End
              M20 Clutch / Flywheel
              Remote Oil Take Off Plate w/-10 Oil Line setup, BMW Oil Cooler and 3 Quart Accusump
              Custom Turbo Manifold, 1.25" Runners, into 15 degree merge collector, T3 Flange
              Garret GT3076 w/ 0.63 Turbine Housing
              Tial MVR 44mm Gate
              Custom Inlet Manifold (along 666fab lines) with 1000cc Injector setup
              DTA S60 ECU

Will have a big fuel system behind it capable of running E85 but may go back to 98 RON Octane fuel as people have been having some issues with the consistency of the E85 out of the pump here. That decision yet to be made.

I am currently re jigging all the engine mounts and turbo manifold from last time around but hope to have it running in a month or so :)
              Chris, glad to see you are back on the M42 path. Looking forward to how this pans out! Also interested on your thoughts with the turbo once you get it up and going.
              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Having driven the GT3071 car and being in the GT3076 car (although with 0.82 rear)....either seem to be very similar to my TD06 on the SR. Little bit of lag in response but when it comes on FARK YEAH. Now a convert for ball bearing, bigger turbo on smaller motor (1.8 'v' 2L) has quicker boost response than the smaller bush bearing TD06 did. I will update with a personal "driver experience" after the fact though :)
                - Chris

Comment

What are you revving to? Any progress? haha, im so impatient :D

Comment

Engine is still at the machinist. I'm getting ready to get the turbo stuff ceramic coated and have been doing some work on the fuel system. Should hear form the CNC guy about the inlet runner design this week.

My engine only has hydraulic lifters. So 7500 is the planned Rpm limit. Ben is revving his engine to 8200 but he has aftermarket conrods and a solid lifter conversion.
                    - Chris

Comment

^ and he goes back to m42! this is great news. glad to see the elite boosted crew posting up in here.

e30guy. good luck with the build man. im in for some progress!!

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                      Ig:ryno_pzk
                      I like the tuna here.
                      Originally posted by lambo
                      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Is your car running right now? I know ive seen you doing some changes to it lately but if its running i wouldnt mind seeing it before i leave. I fly out of sd the 10th

Comment

Nice to see more turboed M42's around the world. The little engine really is underrated IMHO.
                          This is my track toy

This is at the rear wheels on a Dynapack.

I've just finished building my M42 v.2.0 which is M47 crank, forged rods, pistons, o-ringed block and ARP head studs. Hopefully it will be up and running within the next couple of months :D

Last edited by strypt; 05-13-2013, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Looks really good strypt.

E30guydownunder, what are you guys using for trans over there? Im still having issues with my g260.. put the spacer behind the flywheel last night and it still seems to be acting the same. Like it never fully engages.. Found this bullshit when i yanked the flywheel out...

pretty stoked on that..

Comment

That is a nice looking build strypt.

MF DOOM, the compact boys have been running the 328i / M3 ZF trans as it all bolts together in the compact / driveshaft etc. They have been running M20 clutch setups also and it all works.

I had a 323i flywheel on my M42 when NA and was running the 3mm spacer behind the flywheel with a standard 325i clutch and it worked perfectly. Looks like the springs on your clutch plate have been rubbing against the flywheel, did you have the plate in the right way?

What is the setup exactly? All 325i stuff?

I am using my 323i flywheel setup again, but with a custom 325i pressure plate (stiffer springs for more clamp) on a 5 puck clutch plate. But essentially it is a 325i clutch setup on the 323i flywheel, so same as last time.

I am also going to run a G260 and as far as I am aware it will all bolt together and work, b ut obviously I haven't run the setup yet.

With your G260 did all the bellhousing bolts line up? because the small ones around the bottom didn't line up with the E36 sump setup I am running.
                              - Chris

Comment

a g260 will bolt up to m42.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                                Ig:ryno_pzk
                                I like the tuna here.
                                Originally posted by lambo
                                Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Working...
                                X