Best HID ballasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best HID ballasts?

I want better HID ballasts. I've already invested too much money into my crappy setup to waste more time with garbage. What's the best product out there? Right now I'm looking at the 50w morimoto ballasts with the proper can-bus set. Good enough? I already have morimoto 4300k 9006 bulbs.

Also considering this setup with 3000k bulbs.

"We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

As an aside, female sealed beam plugs are H4, right?

I think I'm going to run the h4 can-bus system to a 9006 harness to the ballasts to the bulbs. This should be a plug and play system that allows me to keep my sealed beam connectors while eliminating the error code.
    "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post

I think I'm going to run the h4 can-bus system to a 9006 harness to the ballasts to the bulbs. This should be a plug and play system that allows me to keep my sealed beam connectors while eliminating the error code.
      when you do this please post the details

Comment

Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post

I just installed US spec ellipsoids on my car that had sealed beams. I got the needed pigtails for ellipsoids and soldered them in. I did away with the third wire for the low beam high setting (basically insulated it so it wouldn't ground out) and then plugged straight in to a set of ballasts for HIDs that I picked up for free (they were used). No warning light on the check panel so far.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMy2ndE30 View Post
          I just installed US spec ellipsoids on my car that had sealed beams. I got the needed pigtails for ellipsoids and soldered them in. I did away with the third wire for the low beam high setting (basically insulated it so it wouldn't ground out) and then plugged straight in to a set of ballasts for HIDs that I picked up for free (they were used). No warning light on the check panel so far.
          Yeah, but you should really use a relay harness. You can fry your wiring if the HIDs draw too much current. I couldn't even get mine to fire regularly with the stock wiring. Since the relay harness only uses one plug for the signal you wind up with the error code. The can-bus adapters should solve that - as well as serve as the H4 connector.

Not to mention I really don't want to cut off the stock sealed beam connectors.

Comment

Can-bus for HID ballasts?

Care to enlighten an ignorant but curious guy? I can't see what can-bus really would have to do with the headlights on an E30.
            -Dave
            2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
              Can-bus for HID ballasts?

Care to enlighten an ignorant but curious guy? I can't see what can-bus really would have to do with the headlights on an E30.

Comment

Oh. It's "can-bus". Makes more sense now. (just used as a generic term for something that monitors headlight function)
                -Dave
                2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Im running hids with my sealed beam connector and I do not have a check panel light on.

Comment

How about some OEM Hella or Bosch ballast's? While pricey I imagine you can them through Blunt.

My state just banned aftermarket HID's. If you have them installed you need to remove them for inspection.
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
                      Im running hids with my sealed beam connector and I do not have a check panel light on.
                      That's because as OP said, you're not using a relay harness.

Comment

I just ordered the following from theretrofitsource.com:

Morimoto Elite HID System:
                        Morimoto 35W Ballasts
                        Morimoto 4300k 9006 bulbs
                        9006 wiring harness
                        Ballast Mounts

I also added a h4 can-bus system that should accomplish the following:

Allow me to keep my sealed beam plugs
                        Eliminate the headlight error on the check panel
                        Serve as a h4 to 9006 adaptor

This whole kit should be a super high quality plug and play HID system. It shouldn't have any flickering or power issues due to the included harness. My headlight wires will be safe.

Having that said, most people won't like the price tag. The whole setup cost me just under $200. I may also buy some new low beam housings to complete the setup. Mine have pitted lenses and old reflectors.

I'll report back with my findings.

Comment

You dont need the can bus thingy. The e30 can drive the ballasts directly, and the check panel works fine. So whatever doodad is in there does nothing on an e30, because you dont need the relay harness either.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            You dont need the can bus thingy. The e30 can drive the ballasts directly, and the check panel works fine. So whatever doodad is in there does nothing on an e30, because you dont need the relay harness either.
                            I'm so tired of messing with it that I'm going to overbuild it. Worst case scenario I'm out 30 bucks and my headlights work. With that said, if I have the same issues with this as I did with the last 3 (!!!) sets of cheap ballasts then I'm going to lose my mind. I'll probably throw all 8 ballasts, all 3 wiring harnesses, all 12 bulbs and my us ellips into a wood chipper and drive my e30 into a lake.

Comment

Any OEM ballast ( such as denso or phillips ) would be the best. None of this aftermark crap. Install a real set of HID and you will be just happy!

Morimoto is pretty decent next to oem. TRS has shitty customer service at least on my end. At least their products are good.

Comment

Working...
                              X