Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zulroman View Post
    I'm pretty new at this.
    I have an E30 from 1986, and I was wondering if there was any way I could change/buy or install the newer bumpers from 89+ on my bmw.

and,

Should tell you everything you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by zulroman View Post
      I'm pretty new at this.
      I have an E30 from 1986, and I was wondering if there was any way I could change/buy or install the newer bumpers from 89+ on my bmw.
      Yes, the front bolts on directly. No to the rear. Its too long on the sides. You'll have to shorten it by an inch or so to make it work but yes it works.

Now go search!

Comment

Just did euro bumpers on my 05/86 325es. This was a great DIY. Thanks to all who contributed.

I'm going to add a few things that I think would be helpful (that wasn't explained all the way in this thread.)

- front lights: the gray wire needs to be removed. You can cut the gray wire and its connector all the way off and plug it right in, or you can just break the black connector completely and use the small spade connectors and plug them right into the light housing.

- mounting the bumper on the sides: you can use the factory screw and clip, but I opted to nut and bolt it, mainly because my bumpers didn't have any hardware when I got them, but it seemed to work a lot easier, and I really hate the gap on the sides.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

This info helped my friend out a lot..

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Euro Chrome vs US DB rear bumper mounting area comparison

Found a couple of pics scattered around. Levent's Nina rear pic in the first post is darn good, but I thought folks would appreciate a direct comparison pic. fporro and TDE30s description of mounting mods needed for the rear can be seen pretty clearly.

US rear is the bottom pic - holes for the bumper shocks and the trim above the aluminum DB bumper. Both areas are sealed in the euro car. Good pic to share with your body guy.

The same bumper mount brackets are used for each side. In Levent's pic you can see he uses the leftmost holes to mount the brackets on both sides of the car.

Last edited by bradnic; 09-04-2017, 05:38 PM.
            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by EVillalonRN View Post
              In the pursuit of having my euro bumper turn signals serve as parking lights and turn signals, I found this: http://www.customled.com/products/ma...ic_blinker.htm

Basic Diagram:

I'm going to buy a set and see how it works. I don't want to spend too much trying to figure out a complex relay system to accomplish this.
              did you ever install it? how did it go?

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

the blinker genie can just be a relay, fyi. You'll need some resistors on the signal leads, but the bottom diagram is what you're after cause all it is is an XOR gate:

cars beep boop

Comment

thanks Kronus. do you have install pics anywhere?

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by Aviator View Post
                    Water gets past those flaps now that the old db covers are gone.
                    Curious.. did this actually happen to anyone here? I certainly understand the argument. Near as I can tell the vent flaps let the air out when you shut the trunk - try it yourself with the bumper off and you'll see them flap open then close. Don't know what other purpose they serve, but I really don't want to 'disable' them either

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

No issues with the flaps on my vert. On the hardtops, the sunroof rear drains are ported to that vent.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
                        No issues with the flaps on my vert.
                        THANKS for the confirmation! Leaving them alone then - will keep an eye on it.

Originally posted by uturn View Post
                        On the hardtops, the sunroof rear drains are ported to that vent.
                        Really? that sounds strange.. not sure what the purpose of that would be.. will take a look on one of my hardtop cars.

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Question

How can I tell if I have an early 1988 bmw 325is model or a late? The previous owner changed the body kit to the euro kit. So is there any other way to tell?
                          Sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Saleh88 View Post
                            How can I tell if I have an early 1988 bmw 325is model or a late? The previous owner changed the body kit to the euro kit. So is there any other way to tell?
                            Sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part.
                            Post a picture?

The taillights will be larger/taller on late models. And the rear bumper from a euro that is metal will only fit the early model cars. Its shorter on the sides than a plastic bumper. Other than that, everything else about the early/late model cars is the same.

Comment

Btw guys, I dont really pay a whole lot of attention to this thread. If you want or think I should add something to the original post so that people wont keep asking the same questions over and over, let me know and I'll put it in the OP.
                              For isntance, fog light or turn signal diagrams, bumper holes, yada yada. I tried to cover all the important stuff along with Levents efforts originally, but it looks like the community has beyond elaborated.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post

Curious.. did this actually happen to anyone here? I certainly understand the argument. Near as I can tell the vent flaps let the air out when you shut the trunk - try it yourself with the bumper off and you'll see them flap open then close. Don't know what other purpose they serve, but I really don't want to 'disable' them either
                                I figure 8 years is long enough, how did it work with your vent flaps? Did water ever come in from there?
                                sigpic84 325e

Comment

Working...
                                X