No announcement yet.

Dream SCCA auto-x build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huh, I may join you guys with that. I need to start Auto-Xing the '02. I haven't the slightest idea what SCCA's class structure is like, but I'll just run for giggles anyhow. I need to do some serious reconstruction on my setup though.
    75' M42 Powered 2002
    AW 318is

Comment

come on out. If you havent done any Autox with SCCA you will be in the novice group. Then with your engine swap, it will be in SM.
      if the Atlanta region gets enough SM cars I might stay in SM instead of go to Pro. The more cars the better.

Originally posted by MX339 View Post
      Huh, I may join you guys with that. I need to start Auto-Xing the '02. I haven't the slightest idea what SCCA's class structure is like, but I'll just run for giggles anyhow. I need to do some serious reconstruction on my setup though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
        Gary, what region do you run in? Alabama or Tennessee valley? I think me and a few friends are bringing our e30's over for a few events this coming season, all in SM though.
        TVR (Tennessee Valley Region) and TAC is where I run. My friend Steve just finished his 2.7i build and he runs SM. Come on over.
        sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Horneck View Post
          TVR (Tennessee Valley Region) and TAC is where I run. My friend Steve just finished his 2.7i build and he runs SM. Come on over.
          You running this coming weekend? We are thinking of bringing a few e30's over there if it doesn't rain. How are they on sound over there? My s54 car is currently very loud, don't want to bring it if it's going to cause any grief
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

All depends on what the weather does. If its too cold and rainy, I will run my '11 335i. No sound restrictions at this venue, our last before they close the site down. The next event (Dec 14) is at our prime venue, Milton Frank Stadium. They do have a sound limit of 96db, but only charged S2000's usually go over that.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah we are watching the weather too, if the forecast clears up I am at least going to bring my car, maybe one more. I'm probably around 120db @ 20feet, working on ordering another muffler now but won't have it for this weekend. If it rains I'll probably stay home
              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I'd love to go if you guys don't mind me tagging along. I've got quite a few things I'd need to do to the '02 to get it ready though. Getting some sticky tires would be one of those things. Do you have any 205 Hoosiers right now, Johnathan?
                75' M42 Powered 2002
                AW 318is

Comment

Originally posted by MX339 View Post
                  I'd love to go if you guys don't mind me tagging along. I've got quite a few things I'd need to do to the '02 to get it ready though. Getting some sticky tires would be one of those things. Do you have any 205 Hoosiers right now, Johnathan?
                  I don't have any at the moment, don't have any 15" wheels anymore. That'd be cool if you came though, just keep an eye on the weather.
                  - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

On Dec 6-7 there is a fun autocross up here. It's the Vette Club weekend, 28 runs in two days for $85. No course work, just run. Lunch provided both days. Pretty much wide open course with just a handful of cones. They could care less about sound. Ex-race Vettes running. Its open to all cars, yet nobody but me goes to it. Get 4 autocross's worth of runs packed into a weekend. That's worth the trip up here.

Last edited by Gary Horneck; 11-11-2014, 12:53 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Weather isn't looking to good for Sunday. It's up to a 90% chance now.

That sounds like a damn good event, Gary. Not going to be able to make it though as there's a NASA event that same weekend at RA.
                      75' M42 Powered 2002
                      AW 318is

Comment

Hi all, really glad to find this thread as I'm interested in building another autocross car, perhaps E30-based.

How light do the folks with experience building E30 auto-x cars think an Street Modified E30 build can go? I don't know yet the hood and trunk weights, but my guesstimate is ~2300lbs. Looking at the current SM ruleset, I think an add-lightness approach taking the 275 tire allowance into account would be very interesting. Then basically let the achievable weight determine how much effective displacement the car can have, then pick the power plant and squeeze as much as possible from it.

Thoughts on this approach?

FWIW, my last auto-x build was an E36 M3 for SM. It had all sorts of goodies like aluminum doors, aluminum block/S52 Frankenstein engine with Eurosport Twinscrew, 315 Hoosiers, etc. It went 2nd fastest in Street Modified at the SCCA National Championships behind Bob Tunnell's car before I sold it and took time off autocrossing for graduate school and to start and run a business overseas.

I've been back Stateside for a little over a year now, and have been trying to find more time to get back into autocrossing. I still have a few spares left over from my M3 build, including another aluminum M52 block and S52 head. I looked at the current rules for Street Modified and bought a pair of 318ti to try a different approach rather than just replicating my old car. Alas, I quickly learned that getting a ti down to the weight I want to hit was going to be harder than I thought.

So I went and found a slicktop E30 318is to have a few more options. It's unmolested and really too dang clean to build into an SM car, but it's what came up locally to me. I'm looking forward to reading and participating in this thread to see what everyone comes up with!

Last edited by megatron; 11-24-2014, 11:36 PM.
                        GearSwitch E30 Cup Holder available now at http://gearswitch.us

Comment

Originally posted by megatron View Post
                          How light do the folks with experience building E30 auto-x cars think an Street Modified E30 build can go? I don't know yet the hood and trunk weights, but my guesstimate is ~2300lbs. Looking at the current SM ruleset, I think an add-lightness approach taking the 275 tire allowance into account would be very interesting. Then basically let the achievable weight determine how much effective displacement the car can have, then pick the power plant and squeeze as much as possible from it.
                          Currently my SM car is 2550lbs, but that is with all the original sheetmetal. With my current setup I could technicly be as low as 2180lbs, according to the rules. I am planning to add a supercharger to bring my calculated minimum weight to 2460lbs, which I think will be achievable.

Originally posted by megatron View Post
                          FWIW, my last auto-x build was an E36 M3 for SM. It had all sorts of goodies like aluminum doors, aluminum block/S52 Frankenstein engine with Eurosport Twinscrew, 315 Hoosiers, etc. It went 2nd fastest in Street Modified at the SCCA National Championships behind Bob Tunnell's car before I sold it and took time off autocrossing for graduate school and to start and run a business overseas.have, then pick the power plant and squeeze as much as possible from it.
                          Your last build of an SM car was back in '06, and it looks awesome, but Eric Hyman's GTR has really changed my thoughts on SM. From what I have gathered, talking to him and others, his car is about $300,000 as it sits right now, plus he has +20 years of autox experience. This is not saying he cannot be beat, he was beat this year, I just think it will be tougher than ever to win in SM.
                          FIST CAN BE A VERB.

Comment

Originally posted by Gesture
                            Currently my SM car is 2550lbs, but that is with all the original sheetmetal. With my current setup I could technicly be as low as 2180lbs. I am planning to add a supercharger to bring my calculated minimum weight to 2460lbs, which I think will be achievable.
                            What's your setup? 2180 allowable implies either NA 2.9L with 275mm tires (aluminum M52B28 with US S50B30 crank?) or a NA 1.9L (M44?) with bigger tires. 2460 with the blower seems to imply the former.

Originally posted by Gesture
                            I just think it will be tougher than ever to win in SM
                            Good. It will be worth trying again, then. :)
                            Last edited by megatron; 11-26-2014, 10:26 PM.
                            GearSwitch E30 Cup Holder available now at http://gearswitch.us

Comment

Originally posted by Gesture View Post
                              Your last build of an SM car was back in '06, and it looks awesome, but Eric Hyman's GTR has really changed my thoughts on SM. From what I have gathered, talking to him and others, his car is about $300,000 as it sits right now.
                              I was told that SM stands for "Spend Money", and it sure as hell does. That's why I abandoned my e30 as an autox platform, I couldn't afford what it would take to run with the best SM cars, even locally. Had I done a dedicated SM build from the beginning I might have been able to, but without a tow vehicle and trailer there's only so much you can do.
                              88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                              We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Originally posted by matthugie View Post
                                I was told that SM stands for "Spend Money", and it sure as hell does. That's why I abandoned my e30 as an autox platform, I couldn't afford what it would take to run with the best SM cars, even locally. Had I done a dedicated SM build from the beginning I might have been able to, but without a tow vehicle and trailer there's only so much you can do.
                                time to change that sig to vtak ;D
                                Build Threads:
                                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Working...
                                X