Transmission Accelerator Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Accelerator Cable

So, we were racing an E30 with an automatic in a lemons race. The car hung 5/6 out 56 until we hit the wall and then finished 14th. Seriously - never touched any fluid except gas for the car - the car is one solid bit of engineering that I have worked on being my first BMW. But the wall incident resulted in the transmission only shifting when the engine red lined and generally performed like crap compared to the first day. Upon inspection after the race the tranny accelerator cable had no tension at the accelerator body at the top of the engine. The cable either is disconnected or snaped going to the tranny. The Bently manual actually says to see your local BMW mechanic to replace the cable!? This is a lemons car, so I am not looking for perfection in the repair. Lemons racing requires us to do the work as the shop wants $250 and the tow price to the shop. Anyone here done this replacement/repair? Any pointers to pictured steps? Thanks.
    86 325e chumpracer, 87 325e RallyXer, 12 Boss 302LS, 97 Miata

My trans cable snapped right at the gear selector today. Anyone have a suggestion how to pull out the old cable and install the new cable ?
    1989 325iX Zinnoberrot/Black 65k miles

Comment

Throwing another coin down this bottomless well

The cable on my 325ix hasn't snapped but has enough play that it needs replacing. Has no one attempted this?

Comment

Based on this,

and more specifically this,

I assume the part in question is part number 8 on the second link, part number 08 ACCELERATOR BOWDEN CABLE 24341215954.

And judging by a few photos of the 4hp22, which i assume is what you have in a 325ix as well?

As for actually changing it, looks bloody painful. obviosuly an oil pan off job, but how much deeper into the witchcraft you need to go I'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
        X