Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnosing Clutch Issue?

Hey,

I have a weird problem with the clutch that happens every once in a while.

Usually the clutch pedal has a little bit of loose play at the top and grabs somewhere in the middle. Sometimes, I end up having a lot more loose play (almost like half way at the top) and then it grabs right at the bottom.

This change happens rarely, but in the middle while driving (sometimes causing me to almost stall).

I checked the brake fluid reservoir and it is at the normal level.

This happened today where when I got in the car it was at the low point and after driving a little while, it just went back to normal. The weird thing is it always goes to the same point at the bottom. As if something is sticking.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

My initial thought is that the first suspect is the clutch master, fluid getting past the seals every now and then.

Second suspect is the clutch slave for the same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      My initial thought is that the first suspect is the clutch master, fluid getting past the seals every now and then.

Second suspect is the clutch slave for the same reason.
      The issue hasn't repeated itself yet, its odd. I have had failed master and slave before and this seems a bit different, but you may be right, it may be a "once in a while" leak. Will have it chekced out.

Comment

I agree with e30davie. And I'd recommend replacing the master, slave, and soft line.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Do you have a dual- mass flywheel?

If it's not the hydraulics, those sometimes fail in odd ways,
          especially the self- adjusters...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
          X