Custom camel / burberry interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom camel / burberry interior

I updated my build thread already but figured I would post here as well. I know its not to everyone tast but I am very pleased with the final results.

In January I had never touched a sewing machine before. I had amassed a small collection of 4 sport seats in various state of repair, and I knew I eventually wanted to have a nice set, maybe with some plaid :)

In february I purchased a sewing machine and other tool, and began to work on one of my sports seats using a cheap vinyl from hobby lobby. During this I created patters from the dissasembled seat, and figured if it turned out I could use the patterns later.

With these results I purchased a hide of leather (https://www.leatherhidestore.com/chi...ther-hide.html)

and 4 yards of burberry plaid fabric that I had professionally backed for upholstery used
    (https://www.fabric.com/buy/0479617/f...ll-plaid-acorn)

I used the patterns I made on the vinyl seat and recovered a good driver and passenger seat, and replaced the seat shocks and cleaned / lube dhte mechanisms in the process.

I used SEM camel paint on the door cards and seat backs and was pleased with the outcome.

I moved onto the rear seats using the same method I had with the vinyl seat, and was pleased with the results. I also made a shift boot pattern from an existing torn up boot I had, and made my own pattern for an E-brake boot / cover. I was incredibly pleased with how these all had turned out. I was visiting a friend and spoke to his mom about my project, specifically if there was any way to put fabric on the door cards, and she recommended some flexible tack strips. I used these strips ( had to buy another 1.5 yds of fabric) and after the finger cutting and arduos install process had some matching door cards!

Ill let the results speak for themselves, Im incrediby pleased for my first attempt at this. there are lots of small flaws here and there, but nothing that stands out too much.

Last edited by sert57; 08-10-2017, 09:15 AM. Reason: updated photo links

Nice... Bit of a tip with the French Seams, either mark the entire line before stitching to make sure it's straight or use a twin leather needle.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks! Yeah I never really figured out how to do them the best, I'm sure if I were to do it again i would try a few other ideas to keep the seams straighter
      Last edited by sert57; 06-20-2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Go you! That's pretty ambitious! Props!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        E30 | E46 | E53 | F31

Collection of my DIY Guides here

Comment

Nice work, you should be proud

Comment

Looks great! Love the door card accents

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Great colour scheme. That came out really good!
              1990 325i
              2004 330i Individual 6-speed
              sigpic

Comment

Looks great!! Did you need to get a heavy-duty sewing machine for the leather?

Comment

I used a singer 4411 with 110/18 HD needles ( Still not sure how needle ratings work tbh, but I'm sure its simple).

The biggest issue had to be when i sewed the plastic clips into the leather and also when I sewed the rear bench together, I was going through something like 3-4 layers of the leather at some point, it was ridiculous.

Comment

much respect. sewing leather is no easy feat and you did it without a walking foot, props.
                    sigpic

Comment

Oh no i had a walking foot attachment i purchased for the machine ($7ish) that helped a ton

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info!

How was doing the thigh support area? It seems to be complicated with different panels...?

Comment

The thigh support panel ( I assume that is the piece i have called the "legrest" that slides out the front of the sport seats) wasnt really any harder than the headrest. I think the toughest part was getting the small leather linking piece that attaches it to the main lower center to line up just right.

The tighter radiuses compares to the headrest make it harder to be consistent with, but not too much harder

Comment

What did you use as a backing for the fabric door inserts. Im doing my doors now and would appreciate the feedback

NM I found 1/8 Masonite which should be ideal
                            Last edited by jeffnhiscars; 07-01-2017, 03:33 PM.
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Do you mind sharing the general overview of how someone would go about doing this? Interested!

Comment

Working...
                              X