Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UUC * First ever DOT-compliant LED headlight system - installed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
    Rob, you've been around a while and have had some hits and some misses. This one looks like a miss. Those are the ugliest lights I've ever seen for a BMW. Arachnid comes to mind. The lights are smaller diameter with exposed screws? Are you comparing your new lights to 22 year old pitted fluted US Spec DOT ellipsoids? I always thought LED's didn't provide enough light and should never be used for low/high beams. What's different here?
    According to the product data sheet, light output is more than adequate for use as a headlight. The ghastly look, on the other hand, is probably unfixable, especially given that the manufacturer is seems to be largely fixated on the commercial market.

All in all, this product rates a "meh" in my book.

Still, I'm sure it will fit right in on some flat black rattle canned monstrosity.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

looks like doodoo butter all over a nice car
      Originally posted by b3albakii
      the head was okey .. and in a good mood
      no i didnt over heat it so much
      www.blunttech.com

Comment

I think something along those lines for the fogs could be pretty cool

Comment

I dig. Am eager to see some updates!
          '89 325is S50 Track Montser
          '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

some reverse lights would be sick. i can't see jack coming out my driveway.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
            My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

very cool product. I wonder if you can retrofitt the led system to ellipsoids?
              Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
              http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I think chrome centers and chrome rings to hide the screws and bring them to E30 size and they would look tasteful.
                1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I would kill for a set of those. I think they would look bad ass on my car, and far more importantly, if I can see better without blinding the oncoming, I am all for it.

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I like it! Looks like the led lights off a 2005 q45. Looks very retro! If the light output is greater than others than that should get one point higher than looks. I'd rock em!

Comment

WOW so much hate. They arent that bad. I think they would look better with a lightly smoked stock headlight lens over them

Comment

Very interesting idea. I'm not really a fan of the look though, glad you are still making products though!

Comment

would love to see pricing, also any "off road" applications for even higher output for night racing events.
                          Brian Jacobs

Comment

should make them look similar to the smiley's

Comment

Re-posting from another board, some additional data:

I've wondered why no one has used LEDs in headlights for a while now, you can get some awesome light output out of them and they are durable as hell.
                              The problem up to now has been the combination of durability, absolute output (lumens), and beam pattern.

High output LEDs generate heat, and heat is the enemy of all electronics. To have sufficient output in a compact package requires some very high-power LEDs, which in turn generate a lot of heat. What JWS had to do to make this system work involves a substantial aluminum case with cooling fins plus an internal cooling fan. While hand-held LED flashlights look like there's a lot of output, it's nothing near what is required for an automotive headlight.

Beam pattern is another issue, the raw output of an LED is no more suitable as a headlight than a bare halogen bulb. Focusing and defining the beam pattern from the LED output is what requires these specific types of unconventional-looking lenses.

For comparison, the only other automotive LED headlights are what has come out over the past year or so in the high-end luxury models:

The look is not to my taste.
                              I'll leave the answer on that point at "I respect your opinion". Polarization in opinion at the very least means it's not ho-hum. :D

For me, "form following function" is what matters, and the look is a result of the technology.

What I think some people are missing is that these lights are not designed to look like they do just for fun - the design is a result of the different technology. It's not as simple as an LED bulb that would be put behind a standard ellipsoid light... if it were that simple, that would have been done a long time ago.

My personal opinion, I like how they look. I don't care about the visible allen bolts, I think that adds to the very tech-y appearance. It would be possible to make a trim ring cover for that, but I think it looks better the way it is now.

High-output foglights, now that's something I've been interested in doing for years. That's even more of an issue with making look like it fits in, and with output good enough to be worthwhile. Ideally, I'd want a driving lens pattern as a genuine fog pattern is useless. It's like, "Hey, where's the fog? Let me light it up so I'm totally blind. Found the fog. And then the telephone pole." The irregular shape and angled opening makes a clean install of an alternate light difficult.
                              - Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks * 678-679-5360 * http://www.uucmotorwerks.com * rob@shortshifter.com
                              Phone calls preferred. Email second. No PMs, that's why I have real email. :mrgreen:

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

Your source for E30 Ultimate Shifters, SwayBars, Brake parts/Big Brake Kits, and much more!

First ever LED headlight conversion - [ CLICK HERE ]

Comment

I think they look amazing. I think most people (not saying all) are just too afraid to step outside of their comfort zone when it comes to looks on these cars, especially on something as visible as the headlights.

In my opinion, these are a 1000-fold better looking alternative than all those cheap-as-shit eBay Depo headlights with fake angel/demon eyes that everyone seems to love so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X