Block Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Block Type

Hi Guys I am trying to get my 89 ix back on the road. I have already swapped the head (bent valves from a broken timing belt). Everything was fine until i took the car around the block and heard a loud bang and everything got real noisy! limped the car home and found a hole in the block below where the starter is. :( My question is can I use an eta block in my ix ?

That's really unfortunate. And no, the ix block is ix specific.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

I believe you can "convert" a non-ix block into an ix block. I'm not sure of the details though.

Comment

You could. It's not all that straightforward though. You'd need a competent machinist. And you need the intermediate shaft & oil pump from the ix.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I understand about the oil pump and shaft, but what exactly would I need machined?

Comment

Damn that sucks OP, but I have always been curious to what it would take to convert a standard block to work in an ix.
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by greybeard View Post
              I understand about the oil pump and shaft, but what exactly would I need machined?
              you need some sort of plug to fill the gaping hole where the pressure relief valve on the RWD block is (it's in the pump on the ix), and there's nowhere for the dipstick to go on the RWD block (and there's no "boss" to drill either, the actual casting is different).
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The pan holes for the iX are in different spots than rwd bolt holes
                Build Thread
                https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
                Parts Thread
                https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

or you can buy a spare ix for the engine and other parts.
                  FS NY: two Audiobahn A235HC amps and audiobahn 1farad capacitor
                  Saab/GM tech2 programming
                  My for sale thread
                  1990 325iX for sale or part out
                  Did you buy something from me? Please leave feedback!

Originally posted by K20RI_211
                  And I have to ask if you make a hobby out of thread-bombing with retarded questions?

Comment

Sadly it may be time to pass the car along to a new owner. I have another car an 86 325e that is undergoing an S50 swap and having two non drivable cars in the driveway is one too many for my wife:( Thanks to all

Comment

I bought a parts ix a few years ago for the manual transmission and pedal set. Car came with block, head was gone. I think its a good block but bought with parts so...

would not mind to help if I could, let me know.

The easiest solution may well be get rid of the pesky wife that thinks non running cars are a problem.

Comment

I have a good bottom end from a running ix motor, or at least it was before a buddy pulled the head. Pm me if interested! Also have another complete ix motor too!
                        The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Update car is gone. Drivetrain went to Missouri and the chassis went to Oklahoma. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Working...
                          X