Moving m42 back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving m42 back

Interested to know if there are any offset motor mounts that could move the m42 back.

Looks like there is 1 1/5 inches to move it closer to the firewall

This is a track car set up..
    NASA
    BMWCCA member
    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
    1997 M3 sedan
    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Not sure if the E36 arms are different than the E30. I have thought about moving my engine back toward the firewall for the same reason.

I have a ZF320 trans setup on my M42 E30 and I thought about moving the engine back so the driveline propshaft and shift linkage from the E36 could carry over. Main benefit of course would be to use E36 oil pan and move the mass back.
    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

In for answer...
      1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

I was looking at everything involved..driveshaft is an issue,don't think there is enough room to slide back without binding I have a couple ds I might try
        NASA
        BMWCCA member
        PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
        1997 M3 sedan
        2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

I had an early E30 driveshaft (larger guibo bolts) modified to get one the correct length.

If moving the engine back you may just be able to use an M20 driveshaft if you are using a G240 transmission.
          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

E36 motor mount arms are definitely different and will move the engine back.
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

was going to say 36 arms too. offset bushing could potentially work as well. Might have to throw down on a custom driveshaft at the very worst case scenario. The only other issue would be subframe clearance with the oil pan...

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

The E36 M42 is certainly jammed back against the firewall, that's for sure...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                X