325 IX parts and labor estimate breakdown - Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325 IX parts and labor estimate breakdown - Need Help

I have a 1990 325ix. 4 door Automatic with 156,000 miles on it. No Rust, Straight body, great engine, immaculate interior, never been in an accident, great paint, and everything works on it, but like them all, needs a little work.

I'm in Denver, the car has been here it's whole life and was a 2 owner car. I took it into Denver's most reputable e30 mechanic and got a whopper of a estimate for the work.

- See attached. I've broken down the entire thing. Separate Jobs, Parts, Labor Costs, and if it's something that I think I can do or not (highlighted in yellow or green on the spreadsheet.

Basically, if I do everything from them, it's going to cost me about $8k. If I do the things I think I can do, it'll be about $4,300 (again, from these estimates of parts costs)

Would love some feedback here. I'm assuming that some of the parts on this sheet are inflated or that I can find parts at a cheaper rate, but would I be able to find parts for a lot cheaper?

If the vehicle is totally fixed up, I'm thinking I could get at least $7-$8k for a low mileage 325ix that needs nothing, would this be accurate?

Thanks community, really appreciate any insight or help here.
    Attached Files

You can find a low mileage rwd e30 that needs nothing for $8k. Tack on $2-4k for an ix. The only ones I've seen for sale that "needed nothing" were $12k. And I bet you with 10 minutes or investigation I could still find at least 3 things that should be replaced.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
      You can find a low mileage rwd e30 that needs nothing for $8k. Tack on $2-4k for an ix. The only ones I've seen for sale that "needed nothing" were $12k. And I bet you with 10 minutes or investigation I could still find at least 3 things that should be replaced.
      That's good to know. You have any idea if they actually sold for that? I've seen a couple locally being offered for around $12k, but they are 5 spds and coupes. And any idea how much having an automatic effects the price?

If I could get $12, or even $10 out of it, the costs would could potentially be justified.

Comment

I think you can save a few bucks sourcing parts from well known aftermarket supplies (like front brake rotors etc.. (Ate, Bosch, Brembo...) some where around 50-60$ for 2 discs instead of the 120$ BMW ones.

Changing the timing belt isn't that hard to do on these cars when you have some basic mechanical knowledge/skill. Same thing with the other jobs you listed as maybe.

Have you done the jack test? Is your viscous coupling shot? Aslong as it isn't spilling ATF everywhere I wouldn't replace it.
        1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
        1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

She's leaking atf....poor some in and it basically comes right out. It's noisey and clanking when I push it at all. I'm also now contemplating just doing a 5 Sid swap, since 5spd tc's e easier to find. The car is in really good condition cosmetically, I just don't want to wind up being $3k in the hole if I sell it. Decisions decisions.

Comment

looking over that spreadsheet, if he is willing to do all that for 7k he isnt ripping you off.

Comment

Automatic IXs I've never seen sell for more than $6k.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Coming from someone who bought alot of those parts recently and I work at a BMW dealership that seems like a very fair estimate actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  Automatic IXs I've never seen sell for more than $6k.
                  That's good to know and kind of what I was thinking. I've seen a decent amount of auto ix's listed for around $8500 here in Denver, but figured that was the starting asking price, not the final sale price.

Comment

Working...
                  X