Wilwood master cylinder leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
    Were the 90deg fittings 'tight' to screw in for you? What other issues are you having? I plan on checking for leaks etc before i put the underdash stuff back together.
    They were all very tight. I can't get the brakes to bleed. Even with bench bleeding! Anyone have any pointers? I've read that you have to do both the front and rear at the same time- I haven't been doing that. Maybe that is part of the issue.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
      That's the same conclusion I came to.

It takes 4 hours to fixture and 72 hours to cure. I gave it over 12 hours before I put any pressure.
      So if I understand correctly put the sealant on the threads, thread them in hand tight (anaerobic won't dry in the open air) then wait 12 hours to torque them?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
      M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

They were all very tight. I can't get the brakes to bleed. Even with bench bleeding! Anyone have any pointers? I've read that you have to do both the front and rear at the same time- I haven't been doing that. Maybe that is part of the issue.
        Mine bleed and have fluid coming through and I'm doing the front only

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          I still retain that no brake line should ever need sealant. Should be a purely mechanical connection. Metal on metal.

I've no doubt it will fix leaks, but there should be no leaks. If you have leaks, you have the wrong or damaged fittings.

Although the more i read the more it seems everyone puts that thread sealant on NPT fittings on wilwood brakes. Seems counter intuitive.
          I always thought the same and ran it the first time without any sealant. It sealed and worked fine, but there would always be a drop of two after a few days. Redid the lines and no more leaks. The below is an interesting read

At Henkel, innovative thinking and entrepreneurial spirit are in our DNA. We are curious and passionate experts with deep market and application knowledge. Our unrivaled portfolio of adhesives, sealants and functional coatings are designed to transform markets and the way you work. We’re your global partner prepared to handle any challenge and develop a solution that is smart and sustainable — together with you. For the better.

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
          So do I put the sealant on and let it sit or put the sealant on thread it in the master cylinder then let it sit?

I put sealant on the fittings, torqued them into the master cylinders and waited a few days before I ran any fluid through the system. (use only a small amount and avoid the very first couple of threads, the seal is created mechanically by the taper design, the sealant is for sealing voids in the threads).

For anyone using the Wilwood pedal box, bench bleed the master cylinders first! I spent a lot of time trying to get all the air out from the system the first time around because I didn't do that.
          Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

Originally posted by Q8y_drifter View Post
            I always thought the same and ran it the first time without any sealant. It sealed and worked fine, but there would always be a drop of two after a few days. Redid the lines and no more leaks. The below is an interesting read

At Henkel, innovative thinking and entrepreneurial spirit are in our DNA. We are curious and passionate experts with deep market and application knowledge. Our unrivaled portfolio of adhesives, sealants and functional coatings are designed to transform markets and the way you work. We’re your global partner prepared to handle any challenge and develop a solution that is smart and sustainable — together with you. For the better.

I put sealant on the fittings, torqued them into the master cylinders and waited a few days before I ran any fluid through the system. (use only a small amount and avoid the very first couple of threads, the seal is created mechanically by the taper design, the sealant is for sealing voids in the threads).

For anyone using the Wilwood pedal box, bench bleed the master cylinders first! I spent a lot of time trying to get all the air out from the system the first time around because I didn't do that.
            Awesome info, wish I knew this earlier thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Q8y_drifter View Post
              For anyone using the Wilwood pedal box, bench bleed the master cylinders first!
              oops too late:(
              We're in deep now boys
              1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
              1988 340iL - Track car
              My M60 V8 swap thread here
              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
                oops too late:(
                Same here did yours bleed?

Comment

Bench bleed them in the car.

photos uploaded

Just hold your finger over the end of the brake line inside the engine bay.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

Bench bleed them in the car.

photos uploaded

Just hold your finger over the end of the brake line inside the engine bay.
                    Awesome didn't know of that either.. haha

Comment

Read through the instructions that came with your Wilwood parts, it's all there!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

teflon tape or similar brush on thread sealant is required for NPT fittings. Without thread sealant you will have leaks. A high quality teflon tape should be fine, I've switched to a brush on sealer on all my machine parts (not car related) and leaks are gone as well the sealant doesn't deteriorate like tape can over time. Just make sure if you use the brush on type to wipe it into the threads and clean off the excess to prevent any of it from getting into your brake system.

Comment

Update: the permatex sealant worked, now it's leaking from 35 other spots... 😂

Comment

Keep going, make sure all your brake nuts are tight- there's a lot to tighten! Update on my situation: I just successfully got my brakes bled!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                            Transaction feedback
                            - jpod999

Comment

Keep going, make sure all your brake nuts are tight- there's a lot to tighten! Update on my situation: I just successfully got my brakes bled!
                              Nice! I have a pedal too, it stops the car but just alot of drips

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
                                Update: the permatex sealant worked, now it's leaking from 35 other spots...
                                how are there so many leaks?? it seems like a fairly simple system to me...
                                We're in deep now boys
                                1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                                1988 340iL - Track car
                                My M60 V8 swap thread here
                                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
                                X