Wipers Don't Work in Wash Function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wipers Don't Work in Wash Function

I have had this problem since I bought the car 5 years ago.

1988 BMW 325is

Wipers work fine. Low speed and high speed is fine.

But when I pull the switch back to use the wash function, nothing happens. Wipers don't move and no water squirts.

I changed the pump attached to the tank, and only for the first time, after holding the switch for about 5 seconds, I got SOME water to squirt out but very weak. And still the wipers didn't work.

But after trying again, no water squirts anymore.

So now I am stuck with an extra washer pump, if anyone wants for $10 shipped
    And still stuck with no working wash function.
    What should I do?

Have you confirmed that your hoses are not clogged anywhere in the system? I would check the nozzles in the hood, as it's likely that they are clogged.

I had this issue, but my wipers would still move after the water was supposed to squirt.

I would pull the switch and clean it as well as check the hoses for obstructions (i.e. disconnect hoses at each connection (starting at the pump) and tracing to the nozzles)
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

If wipers don't move when pulling the stalk for the wash feature then the problem is with the stalk itself. If the problem were to do with the fluid system then the wipers would still go on/off when you pulled it.

You likely have some corrosion on the ground wire coming from the stalk, or it has come loose.

To fix: Take the steering wheel off, then undo the screws holding the steering column shroud. You should be able to remove the stalk and see the thin ground wire. Unscrew the ground wire, clean it with a pad and some contact cleaner. Re-install it all... enjoy the working wipers.

Comment

pull the wheel and tighten all the screws associated with the wiper switch.. That fixed my intermittent problem.... all new houses and nozzles.... Works like a charm...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        '90 325i sedan daily driven
        '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Working...
        X