Revshift guibo in lieu of custom driveshaft W/Getrag 260

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revshift guibo in lieu of custom driveshaft W/Getrag 260

I've done some searching. Let's get that out of the way.

This is my reasoning.
    Using a Revshift guibo that will fit the Getrag 260 flange, and front input flange on my untampered with factory m20b25 driveshaft.

The basics: it fits. It's semi cost efficient.

There are a few people who swear it's going to break down in the tranny tunnel and suicide my drivetrain if I use this adapter as opposed to fabing up a half e28/e30 jober.

What I'm looking for is REAL WORLD experience. Those who HAVE used the revshift adapter on their M30b35 WITH a 260.

I know Kamotors swears by it, and he's pushing a boosted m30b35.

yes this is a newer product and I feel it's an option that should be considered, UNLESS there is some real world results that can prove it's a bad choice.

Go!
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

I fried my normal style non swap version with my m20, bolt broke and completely fried the guibo. I can get some pictures. Kamotors also hasnt seen any issues as far I know.

Comment

Taco, this happened with a revshift guibo?

Comment

As already pointed out, KA Motors has had no issues with a boosted M30. That said though, the new all poly version has only been out for less than 6 months, so it's going to be pretty hard for anyone to evaluate how they last long term. KA Motors is probably the only known person running one with an M30 swap up front, as these were designed for & marketed to the 24V swap guys.

If your car is a weekend drive, then go for it - it will probably be several years before you see any bad side effects given the low miles you'd do (if there even are any downsides - with the new version it might be fine).

A proven option if you want to run the 325i driveshaft with the M30 G260 would be to swap the small output flange from an M20 G260. Then the driveshaft will bolt right up with the stock 325i guibo.

The small guibo isn't a problem with the M30 up front. I've daily driven mine with a weaker M10 Getrag 240 gearbox and uprated clutch now for 2.5 years and racked up around 30,000 miles with no issues.
        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Thanks for the info LukeADE335i-

I'll get in touch with Revshift and ask if perhaps they have their older model guibo available...

my car happens to be a weekend cruiser. likely gets driven once or twice a week tops in the summer. definitely not a daily.

I would ideally use the small output glance from a m20 g260, however my old tranny is gone and there are none in the yards nearby.

Comment

Sent email to Revshift.
            not sure if they are active at all on the forum, or whether they will infact reply to email. this will determine a lot on decision.

Comment

sub'd for info.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
                Thanks for the info LukeADE335i-

I'll get in touch with Revshift and ask if perhaps they have their older model guibo available...
                Personally I'd go for the new Poly version - the old alloy version was the one people were having problems with. Remember that they are meant to flex!

Comment

i remember seeing a horror story or two about the old alloy one basically grenading the bushings because of the lack of flex. i would go with the newer one or try harder to find the small flange so you can run the stock flex disk

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                  IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
                    Sent email to Revshift.
                    not sure if they are active at all on the forum, or whether they will infact reply to email. this will determine a lot on decision.
                    I'm on here. I replied to your email. Our guibo is a very controversial part and a lot of people seem to either love it or wont touch it because they think it will "blow out transmission bearings" (not true). Due to the controversy that we have experienced in the past regarding the guibo I will only post once in this thread. If you have any questions please email me or send me a private message. I would like to keep the drama to a minimum. I'm getting too old for internet arguments. :D

Here are some of the facts:
                    - The Revshift guibo has never caused excessive wear or damage in a transmission or a differential. It just doesn't work that way.
                    - Vibration can occur if the drivetrain is not properly aligned. The drivetrain needs to be nice and straight to accommodate the stiffer performance guibo.
                    - New related driveline parts are recommended such as a new center support bearing and driveshaft centering bushing. If you are replacing an old stock guibo then these other parts probably need replacing too.
                    - We warranty our guibo for life. The same goes for our bushings and mounts. If it breaks then we send you a new one at no charge.

We have tweaked and improved our guibo several times over the years. We are always tweaking and testing to find better designs and materials to use. If you have read about a Revshift guibo that did something bad then, chances are, its not the same guibo that we currently make. I can guarantee that you will see a whole new guibo design from us in the future. It only gets better.

Comment

It's spelled "giubo" folks. Carry on.
                      Originally posted by kronus
                      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

And pronounced "Jew-boh". Debbie downer…
                        Originally posted by Andy.B
                        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by John@Revshift View Post
                          We have tweaked and improved our guibo several times over the years. We are always tweaking and testing to find better designs and materials to use. If you have read about a Revshift guibo that did something bad then, chances are, its not the same guibo that we currently make. I can guarantee that you will see a whole new guibo design from us in the future. It only gets better.
                          Thanks for the post John - it certainly added to the thread & I do notice that the complaints about the original version of the giubo are several years old now.

Comment

Originally posted by John@Revshift View Post
                            I'm on here. I replied to your email. Our guibo is a very controversial part and a lot of people seem to either love it or wont touch it because they think it will "blow out transmission bearings" (not true). Due to the controversy that we have experienced in the past regarding the guibo I will only post once in this thread. If you have any questions please email me or send me a private message. I would like to keep the drama to a minimum. I'm getting too old for internet arguments. :D

Here are some of the facts:
                            - The Revshift guibo has never caused excessive wear or damage in a transmission or a differential. It just doesn't work that way.
                            - Vibration can occur if the drivetrain is not properly aligned. The drivetrain needs to be nice and straight to accommodate the stiffer performance guibo.
                            - New related driveline parts are recommended such as a new center support bearing and driveshaft centering bushing. If you are replacing an old stock guibo then these other parts probably need replacing too.
                            - We warranty our guibo for life. The same goes for our bushings and mounts. If it breaks then we send you a new one at no charge.

This is great info and support! Your involvement is greatly appreciated.
                            Watch for my order in the next little while

Comment

FYI for those following my build/this thread, I have gone ahead and ordered this part.
                              provided my install is clean, straight and I replace my CSB and DS centering bushing. I'll be golden.
                              KAMotors is running one of these, I don't see why it won't work for me.

it's going to be much cheaper/easier to have this in instead of frankensteining something that can be hit or miss.

Comment

Working...
                              X