Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 fuel pump specs

Folks,

Does anyone know the approximate specs on the stock e30 in-tank fuel pump? Looking for LPH/GPH @ stated psi. Since an M60 is almost doubling the output of the stock m20, it would be useful to know if the stock fuel pump is up to the task.

-Bruce

Originally posted by BruceBe View Post
    specs on the stock e30 in-tank fuel pump?
    -Bruce
    I don't have the specs, but the specs on the "stock in-tank pump" depend on the car. Some e30s got a low pressure in-tank pump which feeds an external high pressure pump. Other e30s got a high pressure in-tank pump.

Comment

Facelift models have the tank in pump.

Friend of mine used stock in-tank pump in his E30 V8 and it worked very well without any problems.
      - E34 M5 (x 2) -
      - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
      - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
      - E46 318i Touring -
      - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
        Facelift models have the tank in pump.

Friend of mine used stock in-tank pump in his E30 V8 and it worked very well without any problems.
        I'm looking for the specs on the later in-tank pump. If someone has one out, I can likely determine specs from the Bosch part number.

-Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BruceBe View Post
          I'm looking for the specs on the later in-tank pump. If someone has one out, I can likely determine specs from the Bosch part number.

-Bruce
          Bruce, this is the Siemans/VDO part number, I believe... #228 220 007 001Z

of course, it looks like a Bosch number to me, though, so try it for that too...

I'll keep looking for the Bosch number...

EDIT: The Bosch number is #69695, from what I can discern...

Garey
          Last edited by bmwmech1; 04-25-2011, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
            Bruce, this is the Siemans/VDO part number, I believe... #228 220 007 001Z

of course, it looks like a Bosch number to me, though, so try it for that too...

I'll keep looking for the Bosch number...

EDIT: The Bosch number is #69695, from what I can discern...

Garey
            I can't seem to find any specs on VDO pumps. But, the 87 e30 M3 used a Bosch pump, rated at 130 l/h (part # 0 580 464 070). And the VDO pump with #228 220 007 001Z was used in all of the later e30's including the 2.3L EVO II.

The M60 engine is rated at 282HP +/-. Given a BSFC of .5 for a typical naturally aspirated engine, the engine will consume about 141 lbs/hr of fuel, which converts to about 89 l/h. This is well below the 130 l/h rating for the 87 M3. All of the systems are operating at 3 bar, so no need to recalculate flow ratings based on differing pressures.

If you make the engine less efficient (BSFC = .6), and bump up the horsepower (315HP), the result is 119 l/h, which is within 10% of the 87 M3 Bosch pump. However, if the early e30's had a two pump system (in-tank low pressure + external HP), then the effective flow-rate would be higher. This aggregate capacity would be necessarily matched by the VDO pump, so the effective headroom would be higher.

Sure would be nice to know the specs on the VDO pump.

-Bruce

Comment

I think I'm going to use an aftermarket pump, since I'm running the fuel cell and have to make the fuel feed setup from scratch. Any thoughts on that approach? I have twin -8AN outs on my cell and a 90ohm GM sending unit in it, so I'm pretty wide open as to what I can do...

Kinda sucks you can't find any specs on the VDO...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                I think I'm going to use an aftermarket pump, since I'm running the fuel cell and have to make the fuel feed setup from scratch. Any thoughts on that approach? I have twin -8AN outs on my cell and a 90ohm GM sending unit in it, so I'm pretty wide open as to what I can do...

Kinda sucks you can't find any specs on the VDO...

Garey
                I've seen more fuel-delivery issues from poorly-engineered fuel-cell systems, than OEM failures. Having said that, it is very possible to build a reliable, robust fuel-cell setup. Definitely install a surge tank in the cell, and ideally, mount the main HP pump in the surge tank. Make sure all hoses in the cell are rated for full submersion (many are not). You can save weight and facilitate packaging with -6AN to/from the fuel cell.

If you go with an external pump - they can cavitate and destroy themselves over time if they are not fed with a low-pressure "pre-pump" in the cell. Fuel pumps from throttle-body injected vehicles can work well for this purpose (e.g. S10 pickup). For an external pump, run -8AN to the draw side, from the cell.

-Bruce

Comment

91’ 325i: 106.5 lph @ 15psi residual pressure
                  95’ 540i: 136.3 lph @ 15psi residual pressure

Comment

I have a 255l/hr in my 318i. :D

Comment

Originally posted by g3n0cid3 View Post
                      91’ 325i: 106.5 lph @ 15psi residual pressure
                      95’ 540i: 136.3 lph @ 15psi residual pressure
                      For which pump(s) are these specs?

Thanks,
                      -Bruce

Comment

Those are Alldata specs. So I don’t know, sorry just trying to help.

Comment

Working...
                        X