No announcement yet.

My LED gauge cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you remove the two orange plastic light tubes? If so, drill some holes on the edge of them, and add some LEDs to it and put them back, you'll have your needles back.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

+1 for George's suggestion.

And DEFINITELY A+++ for effort. I would like to do something similar but convert all the lighting in the car to blue LED. :flamesuit: I'd do very similar but go with gray faces like on the e46 m3 and blue lighting. Where did you have these made, if I may?
      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      -----------------------------------------
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        Did you remove the two orange plastic light tubes? If so, drill some holes on the edge of them, and add some LEDs to it and put them back, you'll have your needles back.
        Wouldn't that make the white faces light in orange too?

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
        +1 for George's suggestion.

And DEFINITELY A+++ for effort. I would like to do something similar but convert all the lighting in the car to blue LED. :flamesuit: I'd do very similar but go with gray faces like on the e46 m3 and blue lighting. Where did you have these made, if I may?
        There are people here in Poland who make custom faces. They put few layers of some kind of thin plastic that makes for the colour (the LEDs are white - I wanted the odometer in white) and finally a non transparent layer with laser cut out digits. You just tell them what would you like (or send them a cdr with your project) and they just make it. Costs vary from 20 to 30 USD per set.
        LEDs themselves are cheap, but soldering them and stuffing the cluster was a bitch. Thought of making those for sale but:
        1. with dark needles the product is incomplete
        2. don't have that much time
        3. people in here who own E30 either wouldn't pay much for that or make their own.

Comment

Here is my suggestion on getting rid of the dark areas: Since the surface of the gauges (whats underneath the new gauge faces) is clear plastic... etch little slits, very close apart, all the way around the outside perimeter of each of the gauges (not the gauge faces). Make sure you do this directly under where the numbers and such of the gauge faces would be. I'm assuming you have the LEDs already in drilled holes around the plastic part of the gauges. Etching the slits, lets you disperse the light evenly throughout the entire area the slits cover.

Honestly, If you get gauge faces made to look like identical to the stock ones.... This would look very very good. And as far as the needles go... I'd imagine there is pretty much nothing you can do except finding different needles that are made to be back lit.

Dave
          E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

thats just stupid IMO

Comment

Props on labor, but should have done a different mod.

Comment

Originally posted by B2702 View Post
                thats just stupid IMO
                I think with better gauge faces, and a little more work on the actual cluster this could come out pretty good.
                E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Working...
                X