Power Steering adaptation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Steering adaptation

So - I haven't seen much discussion anywhere about the power-steering aspects of this swap. I'm looking at a potential solution, but was also wondering what others have come up with.

In our case, the car has an e36 M3 steering rack (quicker ratio), and the donor pump is the tandem-vane design from a 740i. Other than an additional 10mm pressure port, to support the ABS system (pressure accumulator), I don't see any functional difference between the 740i pump, and one out of a non ASC+T vehicle.

Ports are configured as follows:
    1) Pump out to rack: 14mm x 1.5mm Banjo
    2) Pump in from reservoir: 18mm Banjo
    3) HP port on rack: 14mm
    4) LP port on rack (to reservoir): 16mm

Incidentally, the port sizes on the e36 rack are the same as the stock M20-equipped e30.

It would be preferable, to *not* mount the reservoir in the stock location, since it will undoubtedly be exposed to significant radiant heat from the exhaust manifolds. As a result, it would be great to mount the stock reservoir, or a custom reservoir in a more "friendly" location.

The only "high" pressure line is the 14mm line from the output of the pump to the top port on the rack. Everything else will see either low pressure, or slight vacuum (input line to pump). These lines were simply clamped to the OEM reservoir, after all.

Parker makes adapter fittings, to convert the metric banjo port to an AN male. The 14mm becomes a -6AN, the 16mm becomes a -8AN, and the 18mm becomes a -10AN. We can use standard AN hardware and hose for the two low pressure lines, and have a single HP line made up with -6AN hose ends, in the lengths and orientations to make it clean and sensible.

What have others done?
    -Bruce

I converted to AN for my PS. -6 for all the lines but the supply from the reservoir which is a -10. NAPA made my -6 high pressure hose in 20 min. and charged me $30.

Canton PS reservoir can be seen in here.

Photo by systemdelete, on Flickr

PS Cooler

Photo by systemdelete, on Flickr

Comment

Is one of the lines running over the alternator the HP hose from the pump? Those look like aluminum fittings, and the hose looks strikingly similar to AQP Startlite hose. I haven't seen a hose/fitting combination from a manufacturer, utilizing Al fittings, that is rated for the output pressure of a PS pump.

-Bruce

Comment

The Hose is AQP startlite for all lines but the High pressure, which is high pressure hydraulic line from napa with steel JIC ends. The lines over the alternator are for the oil cooler.

Comment

Only $30 for the HP hose? Shit a new OE is like $120 from the dealer. How much did the whole AN hose conversion run you with all the fittings?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
            Only $30 for the HP hose? Shit a new OE is like $120 from the dealer. How much did the whole AN hose conversion run you with all the fittings?

$48 for metric banjo to JIC adaptors
            $64 for startlite hose
            $100 for hose ends
            $160 for reservoir and cooler
            $63 for Napa HP hose (would have been 30 if I hadn't goofed the measurements on the first one)

$435 by my math ($402 if I could read my own handwriting :/)

Not having PS constantly weeping from a crappy plastic reservoir- Priceless.

Comment

E36 M3 rack with a delete kit.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceBe View Post
                What have others done?
                -Bruce
                My friend came out this morning and crawled all over my car looking at the PS setup. He loved that he could put the reservoir and cooler where ever he needed as long as the reservoir is above the pump's mounting position. Looks like I'll have solid data on the part #s you would want to do the same for an s62 in the coming weeks.

Comment

what temps does the PS fluid actually reach? anyone know
                  Anything can be done

Comment

Attached are a couple of photos with the Metric Banjo <-> JIC/AN conversion fittings installed in the rack and power steering pump.

-Bruce
                    Attached Files

Comment

I couldn't find any steel adaptors like you used that had a wide enough shoulder to seal with a crush washer like the factory intended for the high pressure line. The ones shown will work fine on the low pressure lines with stat-o-seals but I was taught that they won't take pressure well. Mine on the high pressure ports look more like below, and still use the factory crush washers and hollow bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post

E36 M3 rack with a delete kit.
                        Thats the easy part, the bigger issue is the shaft to exhaust clearance as you can see .
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                          Thats the easy part, the bigger issue is the shaft to exhaust clearance as you can see .
                          I'm certainly not looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                            I couldn't find any steel adaptors like you used that had a wide enough shoulder to seal with a crush washer like the factory intended for the high pressure line. The ones shown will work fine on the low pressure lines with stat-o-seals but I was taught that they won't take pressure well. Mine on the high pressure ports look more like below, and still use the factory crush washers and hollow bolts.

The Parker fittings have an o-ring, and a slightly oversized backing washer. The washer squeezes the O-ring between the face of the port and the inside diameter of the washer. This approach effectively creates an ORB port. No crush washers are used.

Here are the Parker part #'s:

14mm x 1.5 Port (pump output and top of rack): 6M14F8OMXS (straight) or 6M14C8OMXS (90-degree elbow)

16mm x 1.5 Port (lower port on rack): 8M16F8OMXS (straight) or 8M16C8OMXS (90-degree elbow)

18mm x 1.5 Port (intake on pump): 10M18F8OMXS (straight) or 10M18C8OMXS (90-degree elbow) <--90-degree won't clear back of pump

For the tandem vane pump, you'll need to plug the ABS output: VSTI10X1EDCF

-Bruce

Comment

Working...
                            X