Junkyard M62

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junkyard M62

Found this baby sitting in a '96. Seems like if could be a great candidate for an M60 / M62 hybrid, but I need to find out if the motor is fudged.

I don't think I can do a compression or leakdown test, so it seems my only option is to go back on thursday and yank the heads to see what's up. I've heard these motors are pretty tanky, so I'm hoping it's alright. Any recommendations?

What's the rest of the car look like? Is there any accident damage? Chances are pretty good that if it didn't end up in the yard for a wreck, it was probably the transmission that gave up. I just replaced one in a 98. Mileage? Drain the oil and look at it closely. If there were any bearing issues, they'd show up in the oil. Pull the plugs and look at them and take a 27mm socket and breaker bar and spin the motor and see what it feels like. Don't kill yourself tearing it apart in the yard... if you can get it for cheap, just yank it and tear it down at home...

Garey

Comment

If the intake and oil caps have been off for longer than a (dry) day, I wouldn't touch it.
      Byron
      Leichtbau

Comment

Pick that up for $200 or whatever it costs at junkyard, and go to town. Open it up, If it's bad, just bring it back and get credit for it . Otherwise have the heads checked/re-done , new bearings, top/buttom gasket kit, timing components.
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Anything special I should know before I go and crack off the heads?

I'll probably just end up using the block, as I'm looking at putting together a hybrid like bmwmech1's

e: I'm going to finish this stupid homework and try and make a compiled M60 swap thread.\

e: Anyone know if the bolts holding the trans on are weird torx ones?
          Last edited by Mr Two; 09-20-2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

If anything I would keep the heads on there, and see about doing a compression check. Then do the usual stuff, my brothers 03 m62tu with 130k already had some rod bearing wear showing , little but still there. So, on a 96 I would deff do as much as possible while it's out. Oil pumps are sometimes an issue on these as well, usually on the early engines.

You'll find out that not many engine shops will touch these engines at all (blocks specifically).
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Two View Post
              e: Anyone know if the bolts holding the trans on are weird torx ones?
              Yes, they are E10 and E12 inverted torx bolts...

Garey

Comment

Well fuck, I guess I need to go buy those, lol

Comment

If you need a good M60 I have one from a 1995 740il locally for $800. Clean car, wrecked on DS fender, engine in good shape and kept covered, nothing has been touched on it. Comes with everything you should need. (ECU, wire harnes, MAF, etc.) not a hacked up Pull-a-Part engine I promise.

I'm close to you in Knoxville, TN so LMK if you are interested and we can work something out.

Comment

We've met, I'm Corey, with the brown car. This M62 is in the local pull-a-part :D

I'd be interested in the coming weeks, probably after the last track day of the season.

Comment

Sup Corey! I wondered if that was you considering the name.

LMK, I'm little flexible on the price since I don't really have a need for it right now.

Actually came in here to post it up for sale to see if anyone would be interested and found your thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Two View Post
                        Well fuck, I guess I need to go buy those, lol
                        You'll need the E12 for the head bolts on the M6x motors, too, so at least you can justify the cost, lol!

Garey

Comment

Might be picking it up Saturday, assuming it is still there. I'm waiting to hear back from VAC Motorsports, first.

Comment

I was wrong, the engine I have is a M60B40.

Clean as hell though. Per the oil change tag it was due for its next full synthetic oil change at 91,135. Car was very well kept its a shame that it was wrecked.

Last edited by RobertK; 09-27-2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment

You mean an M60b40?

Still haven't picked up that motor - waiting to hear from VAC. I may pass on it, and wait till I have more detailed plans together.

Comment

Working...
                              X