My bitch tube nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bitch tube nightmare

Okay here we have another story of a leaking bitch tube, leaving an abundant amount of oil everywhere I drive me having to put a drip pan under the car when I park.

Initially when I took it out the first time, the bottom O ring was non existent. All I had at the time was generic O rings that fit around the tube, but they were too small. It still leaked after that but it was a last resort.

At last I sourced the correct O ring and installed them on both ends of the tube, used the zip tie trick with the spring, yada yada. INstallation went fine. IT STILL FUCKING LEAKS.

How is this possible? I've seen that this leak can sometimes be fixed by turning the tube and reseating the O ring but I've tried that to no avail. Any suggestions? I am stumped. I just want to drive my car again.

Maybe the block is scored/messed up where it seals? Load up the o-rings with some o-ring grease and see if that helps seal it up
    -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
      Maybe the block is scored/messed up where it seals? Load up the o-rings with some o-ring grease and see if that helps seal it up
      That's what I was thinking but it looks fine. I even cleaned it really well. I put oil all over the O ring before installation to ensure a good seal.

While its in there, I can grab the tube and force it down, and its feeling like its seating fully when I do that. But the spring just pushes the tube back up. Is that supposed to happen?

Comment

You do have the washer in there, correct?

I think it's kinda funny seeing your post about bitch tube issues...I don't have the damn seals, can't put this damn intake manifold on...because of 2, rare o rings.

GL!
        Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          You do have the washer in there, correct?

I think it's kinda funny seeing your post about bitch tube issues...I don't have the damn seals, can't put this damn intake manifold on...because of 2, rare o rings.

GL!
          Luke
          Yes the washer is there. Haha, those O rings are hard to find here in Germany. Even the dealership said they'll "call me'. Luckily there was an M20B20 sitting on a pallet behind the skillcenter on post. The O rings looked good. No rips, they weren't dried out. I'm confident they are in there correctly but it's still spewing oil.

Comment

Of the couple dozen I have done, one 1 leaked...the one I used seemingly good used orings...go figure.

I noticed RealOEM shows a part number but not a "size".

Figures finding them is a pain in the dick there too, everyone is like "go to a hardware store" and I'm like "I tried that shit 10 years ago, they don't fucking fit!"

GL
            Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
              Of the couple dozen I have done, one 1 leaked...the one I used seemingly good used orings...go figure.

I noticed RealOEM shows a part number but not a "size".

Figures finding them is a pain in the dick there too, everyone is like "go to a hardware store" and I'm like "I tried that shit 10 years ago, they don't fucking fit!"

GL
              Luke
              Yes it's a very specific size. I can't believe the fucker still leaks. I'm going insane

Comment

Hang in there man...GLWR

Closing SOON!

Comment

Can anyone take measurements of one of them for future reference? Mine seeps some and I'd love to have an idea if it's "getable" anywhere else.
                  Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

i threw in some rtv black for good measure. not fuckin with it again

Comment

wait there is supposed to be a washer somewhere with the bitch tube....fack, not gonna deal with it

im pretty sure this kit came with 2 black o rings when I bought it im sure you can look up the individual contents and get a part number or at least dimension

Comment

RTV the crap out of it.. I used the "Heavy Duty Oil Application" one. Worth a shot.

Early models do it better.

'86 Cosmos Sedan LS1

Comment

Should I take the tube out again or just clean it up the best I can and just try and get RTV all the way around it? I don't want to take the intake manifold off again for the third time haha. Fuck that

Can anyone confirm if their tube can be seated further like mine? and if the spring pushes it back up? Not sure if that's normal.

Comment

Yes, the spring is supposed to push the tube up so that it makes a good seal on the bottom of the intake manifold (so you don't get a vacuum leak). Have you closely inspected the tube itself, made sure it's not cracked? You might try a new tube if they're not too expensive (they're $7.50 at Pelican Parts here in the states).

Comment

Okay thanks for the info. I did inspect the tube as well, no cracks or anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X