Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What parts car should I buy? E34 or E36

Hey everyone,

For starters I've got a 91 318i that I'd really like to engine swap.

So I've been reading a ton of these threads and I'm pretty sure I'm drowning in good, bad, and unclear information. It probably easier just to ask in this case.

I'm looking to buy a parts car for an engine swap because I figure ill get the most bang for the buck. As you read above I've got a m42'd e30 so there's a lot that will need to change.

Couple of Questions:

G240 vs G260 vs G250 vs ZF

From what it seems, going with a newer transmission is better than trying to use my g240.

So, is there any significant difference between using an e34 or e36 transmission. I think I read somewhere that the e34 manual bolts up easier / with almost no changes. While I know the e36 / ZF will need a drive shaft made out of the two ends and an e30 center bearing.

I also cannot find conclusively if there will be any other mod or parts that I need to get to fit any of those other transmissions properly.

e34 vs e36 engine harness and ECU
    Does it matter which one you use?

Any other benefits I should consider between the two parts cars? Or anything else for an engine swap that is important to think about?

I know I wouldn't have to modify the oil pan and pick up for the e34 engine.
    I know the e36 comes with the mounting arms and such.

Thanks for the help
    sigpic

Edit: My bad, thought you were asking which engine to swap in. But I understand now you're wondering about the m50 from either model
    Last edited by Self Made; 02-25-2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

That's why I tired to boil it down to if there was a significant difference with the transmissions or the ECU/OBC/harness of the engines.

The e30 sticky'd wiki is down and I've read over countless other articles. There are many nuances that are left out or slight differences.

One of my main sources e30 zone has a great m5X swap guide but its written for the UK so I know the e34s over there had different transmissions.

If you can't / don't want to help, just move on. Don't tell me to do more research. I know that. If no one can help me then I'll dive back into it. Like I said "I've been reading a ton of these threads and I'm pretty sure I'm drowning in good, bad, and unclear information. It probably easier just to ask in this case."
      sigpic

Comment

I have a 91 318is. I bought a e34 parts car that was an auto. So I still had to buy e36 parts. I ended up using my stock g240. You need parts from both e34 and e36. So in the long run it really dont matter. I can say the e34 wiring is a tad too short to fit the ecu back to stock location.
        Current
        99 328i (Sold)
        91 318is M50B25TU
        89 325ix (Parted out)
        87 325is (Parted out)
        95 525i (Parted Motor for 91 318is)

Comment

+1 to rickdick for the help and +2 for the name! haha

Yeah I know Ill have to get engine arms and some other bits.

Hows the stock 240 ride?

And that's really helpful for the harness length. How did you fix that?
          Last edited by pb34; 02-25-2015, 02:05 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Damn thing is fairly quick. Since I have a 318is I hace 4.10 lsd so going down the high way in 5th at about 70 im spinning about 3500 rpm. As for the harness length I have not gotten to it since it is winter. It still fits in my glove box it just needs to be about 6 inches longer to be able to mount in the stock 318is location.
            Current
            99 328i (Sold)
            91 318is M50B25TU
            89 325ix (Parted out)
            87 325is (Parted out)

Comment

Nice! I plan on DDing it so I think Id prefer to get those RPMS lower. Also I have a 4.10 open which blows since it was a 318i.

My buddy has a 3.15 lsd that I was going to put in along with the suspension refresh.

So how did you get it to sit in the mounting point? Just hanging out of the bracket or zip tied? haha.
              sigpic

Comment

FWIW I have been using my G240 with my M50 swap for about a year and 15K miles now and I really like it. It's a tad revvy on the highway (4k at 75) but you're almost always in a nice powerband for no-shift passing. Stock M42 clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and TOB hold just fine so all you'll need to buy is the euro 320 linkage (or modify yours).

If you go with the stock G250 I believe the ratio is 1:1 so if you've got a 4:10 out back you'll be cruising around 4K rpm at 60.

E36 harness is preferred as it's a near perfect match in length.
                The basics you'll need are:

E34 oil pan and pick up
                E36 mount arms
                E28 mounts
                E36 harness
                ..and thats really the critical fitment parts for an m/s50. Most everything else is preference to your setup/budget.

Read the build thread in my signature. I tried to reuse and keep as much original as possible while also on a budget.
                91 318is M50 swapped
                05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Self Made: I sincerely apologize if that sounded mean, I've just seen so many other people get thrown so far under the troll bus on this forum. Especially with the kinda backhanded "do more research" line. I just don't get how people take the time to say that, but not help! haha.

Nick_S

That's an awesome thread man!!! Thank you!

I picked a 325ix booster out of a yard, will that fit pretty much directly right?
                  sigpic

Comment

I cant tell you about the Ix booster yet. I have one to install just haven't done it yet. All i did was clearanced the stock booster and removed a few fins off the intake.
                    Current
                    99 328i (Sold)
                    91 318is M50B25TU
                    89 325ix (Parted out)
                    87 325is (Parted out)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                      FWIW I have been using my G240 with my M50 swap for about a year and 15K miles now and I really like it. It's a tad revvy on the highway (4k at 75) but you're almost always in a nice powerband for no-shift passing. Stock M42 clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and TOB hold just fine so all you'll need to buy is the euro 320 linkage (or modify yours).
                      Nick, what diff gear are you running? I like the idea of the closer ratio g240. Probably going to be doing swap #2 for me sometime this summer, I have a few trans options laying around..

Early models do it better.

'86 Cosmos Sedan LS1

Comment

Working...
                      X