Whining noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whining noise

Hey guys, so I've been having this strong rpm related whining noise come from what seems to be my tranny or engine for about 2 months (This is on a e36m3 zf tranny hooked up to an s52). It sounds a bit like a car with straight cut gears and comes in for only a specific rev-range, increasing in sound intensity with the rpms. I just changed the fluid this weekend to receive no change. The transmission feels great and works perfectly. What could this possibly be???? A short video is attached to try to capture the sound.

What's making this noise? - YouTube

Thanks!

Trans or diff....

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
      Trans or diff....
      I just changed the diff fluid as well. This may be a stretch, but I have a torn cv boot (not clicking or anything, but definitely vibrating on acceleration) and maybe that vibration or just difference in power is throwing something off in the diff? I'm re-greasing and booting the inner cv joint this weekend, so I guess we'll see if that fixed anything.... Is it possible that its engine???

Comment

I don't mean to over-bump, but it seems that the noise is getting more intense and it just hurts me to drive the car but I sort of have to. :(

Comment

Originally posted by The Jack View Post
          I just changed the diff fluid as well.
          this doesn't rule anything out... the bearings can still be toast. New fluid won't help that.
          -Justin

sigpic

Current: BMWless for now... '15 Grand Cherokee & '03 Mach 1

Comment

Originally posted by cabin View Post
            this doesn't rule anything out... the bearings can still be toast. New fluid won't help that.
            Yea, I know :(. Is there anything I could do about it? If not, just wait for it to die and get a new one? Maybe reason to get a 6 spd....

Comment

Working...
            X