s52 swap booster. Experts only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s52 in a 1991 318i. I am not happy with my current booster situation. We have e28 m5 engine mounts, e36 trans mounts, and want the best drop in booster situation, with the least modification.

I know of the ix booster, 320i Booster, 944 booster e21 booster.

I am attempting to run the stock booster, but no luck. I dont really want to slot the firewall, we have a spacer on the driver side to clear, but I dont like it.

What is the easiest, SMALLEST booster with the least modification? IE: Something I can order new, and do some basic mods, probably to the pushrod or whatever?

Thanks guys!
    Turbo e30 M52. Built Motor, GT3582r
    Watch my vids http://www.youtube.com/user/GrudgeRider156?feature=mhum

E32 booster probably easiest.

Comment

Everybody's setup is going to be somewhat different due to type and age of mounts, sagging subframe etc.

I have an s52 with an m50 manifold akg swap mounts and rogue trans mounts.
      I originally went with the e32 booster due to availability ie easy to find in a junkyard.
      No matter how much I ground off the manifold fins it would just barely touch.
      This was the case with both obd I and obd II manifolds.

Found out the hard way the e32 and ix spacer are different.
      Came upon a thread claiming the ix spacer was 6mm (iirc) shorter and decided to order one to see if it would give me better clearance.
      Lo and behold not only was it 6mm shorter it was also offset downwards by around the same amount.
      Unfortunately the downward offset moved the check valve port right into the shock tower so that wasn't going to do it either.
      I ended up having to hybridize the two boosters and using the e32 booster with the ix spacer for a perfect fit.

All that said plenty of folks on here have no problem swapping e32 and ix boosters without swapping spacers so ymmv.

The only modification needed was swapping the e32 clevis with the stock e30 one and adding the remote reservoir.

Project
      Feedback

Comment

The iX booster is going to be the easiest.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

IX/E32/E34V8 etc booster is by far overall best install with most room etc, just requires a clevis mod and a tiny bit of opening up firewall holes... Therefore not the easiest...

Check Us out on Facebook
          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
          Full Product Line Tuning
          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Ok. Does the e32 booster have a stock remote resevoir?
            Turbo e30 M52. Built Motor, GT3582r
            Watch my vids http://www.youtube.com/user/GrudgeRider156?feature=mhum

Comment

Originally posted by turbo325i View Post
              Ok. Does the e32 booster have a stock remote resevoir?

The booster does not have a reservoir.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Porsche 944 booster works well and relatively inexpensive on ebay.
                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                  Porsche 944 booster works well and relatively inexpensive on ebay.
                  I used the 944 booster as well. I think all that was required was cutting and tapping of the pushrod. You also have room to mount the reservoir in the stock location on the MC.

Comment

Porsche 944 booster new with rod threaded to E30 spec.
                    bolts in happily and M50 manifold has no clearance issues; used stock e30 compatible master cylinder and fluid reservoir
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

To speak to the 944 booster, I had to shave the fins off my manifold (OBD1) in order for it to fit. In some cases you will have some clearance issues, some cases you won't.

I'm using green e28 535 mounts, so nothing out of the ordinary.

Comment

From what I've seen you need to shave fins on the intakes no matter what intake or booster you use its always a tight fit. Other than that the 944 ate booster is probably least work as you only need to cut and tap the Clevis rod instead of coming up with a brake resivior setup.
                        Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                        Bimmerbuddies LLC
                        717-388-1256
                        2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                        bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

I have the stock booster that has been moved over 1/2 in. I have pics of all the steps that I did.
                          Its actually very simple and the booster feels like normal.
                          You dont have to slot the holes, just mark them using a template of the holes. And then just drill the holes.
                          Its easier done if you take the booster out leaving the master cylinder and fluid reservoir still connected. (I did this while the engine was out though).
                          PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

we have billet AKG 24v swap mounts so its possible that they position it to have more intake manifold clearance than with off the shelf mounts for a e28
                            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I ultimately chose the 944 booster because it's the easiest to swap, and readily available. Just cut the rod and thread it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X