Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a M50 power steering pump fit/work on a S50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will a M50 power steering pump fit/work on a S50?

My power steering pump went up on me right before I parked it for the winter. I had a line on a M50 power steering pump but I checked realoem.com and it shows two different part numbers. Has anyone tried and succeeded in installing a M50 power steering pump on a S50? I don't want to waste money. I thought all M/S5X were relatively the same when in came to engine accessories. But then why are the part numbers different?

E36 325is

E36 M3
    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

im pretty sure the m3 uses a zf pump and the non m will have a luk pump. they will probably be different. i had good luck with a rebuilt zf pump i found on amazon for 90 bucks, just try to find something with a warranty.

Comment

From my research it seems the E36 325i power steering pump can work with the right brackets, but an E36 328i power steering pump is the same as the M3 design and will bolt right up. So when I get one installed I will post the results on here for future reference.

Comment

fyi my brothers 328i has a luk power steering pump and my m3 has a zf. good luck, power steering issues suck

Comment

Might as well delete it ;)

Early models do it better.

'86 Cosmos Sedan LS1

Comment

Originally posted by BenjaminButtton View Post
            Might as well delete it ;)
            this might work okay on a car that is only used for daily driving or grip driving, but if you like to oversteer/drift, power steering is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
              From my research it seems the E36 325i power steering pump can work with the right brackets, but an E36 328i power steering pump is the same as the M3 design and will bolt right up. So when I get one installed I will post the results on here for future reference.
              Not sure if this will help or add to the confusion, but the m52 328 power steering pump and m3 s52 power steering pump are different. I can't comment as to whether they'll bolt up between the motors (I assume so given the correct hardware/brackets), but the lines themselves are different between the motors. The 328 pump uses a pump with a banjo bolt for one of the lines and a hose clamp for the other, whereas the s52 pump has two banjo bolt fittings. This is from firsthand experience when I put an s52 into my 328.

Comment

Originally posted by E36M3LX View Post
                this might work okay on a car that is only used for daily driving or grip driving, but if you like to oversteer/drift, power steering is a must.
                Understandable, especially if you're running really wide/sticky tires.

Early models do it better.

'86 Cosmos Sedan LS1

Comment

I have a M50 P/S pump on my S50 stuff and the alignment is fine. Hopefully it doesnt blow up when I start my motor...

Comment

Originally posted by f4tj0n View Post
                    I have a M50 P/S pump on my S50 stuff and the alignment is fine. Hopefully it doesnt blow up when I start my motor...
                    What year BMW did you get the M50 power steering pump off of?

Comment

Working...
                    X