One bad bad center bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One bad bad center bearing

Soo today as I was driving home I noticed a clunk while accelerating from a stop light. I got curious and decided to reproduce that clunk again. I did and it happened again, only difference was that this time it sounded as if I had huge rocks stuck under the drive shaft! A really violent rumble that was really loud and noticeable by everyone who passed me by. The noise followed me all the way back home, at this point I was scared to shit not knowing what happened. I raised the car up and everything seemed fine! no excessive play in the drive shaft or anything. I did notice this (refer to the video in the link) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlA1j...ature=youtu.be I put the car back down and drove it again and bam! sound disappeared, I did floor it a little to see if it would return, I heard it start to clatter again but it quickly went away. I have to drive it since its the only car I have for school and work, is this safe? It will have to hold up until the the new center bearing arrives,which usually take up to a week or so :(
    1. is the center bearing bad? I just want to make sure, ive never dealt with a bad one
    2. can it cause other damages if I drive it like this?
    thanks guys

If the car is driven gently for a short time there should be no additional damage.

In almost all cases a failure of the center support bearing (CSB) will be caused by bad drive shaft u-joints. You can replace just the CSB and gain temporary relief, but the new CSB will have a short life. The only long term fix is a replacement drive shaft.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Oh we'll I guess it's one of those downsides of having a car with 200k+miles :) thanks for the help :) time to save up!

Comment

Working...
      X