Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odometer Problems (even after new gears)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odometer Problems (even after new gears)

I have an '87 325IS and the infamous small gear broke in the odometer... so I went to od ometergears.com and got a whole new set. I replace them and it seemed to work perfectly before I put it back in the gauge cluster.

I put it in the car and it worked for .1-.2 miles and then stopped again... I took out the odometer and checked it - gears were great. Everything else works fine. After that, I ended up buying another used speedo with good gears... it worked fine for 4-5K miles and the gears broke (damn gears!). So.... I ended up putting my old one back in and it still only goes .1-.2 miles when I FIRST put the cluster back in. What the hell is going on?

Also, I have changed out a few different gas gauges - When I put one in, my "range" display on the OBC reads 80 miles left. Put the other gauge in and the display reads 40 miles left. (Second one is correct because I don't have much gas left....why does it do this!?)

Thanks!

Paul

you have a couple tough ones (abs issue included).
    those gears are a pain. but ive not heard of this issue. it sounds to me like you should check the gear installation. pull that unit out and get the gears out. check them for burrs. when putting them back together, dont assemble them too tight on each spindle.

Comment

This happened to me..

If you try to spin the odometer a good distance while having it out, you may see the problem as I did. Or if you carefully look at it and turn the gears when you pull it out after it has not been working.

In my case, one of the gears was sliding up the shaft that it sits on, allowing it to slip out of the gear it contacts. I put a couple thick washers on the shaft and it hasn't happened since.

Comment

I've got a similar problem. Replaced the gears and the odometer worked fine for about 100 miles. Now it sometimes clicks off a few tenths and then stops. I haven't pulled it apart yet to check, but I suspect that the mileage drums may be dirty and in need of lubrication.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks guys... I actually got a very small spring the fits over the rods and the gears seem to fit togther nice and firm..... I'll put everything back in tomorrow and update you on the hopeful success!!

Paul

Comment

Fixed! You were definitely right! The gears meshed when I had it on the table, but in my car they didn't mesh!... so I took a small small small spring and placed it over the metal dowel that goes throught the gears, so that the clear plastic cover that goes over the gears put pressure on the spring - just enough to get it to mesh.

Thanks!

Paul

Comment

Glad that you had it fixed. As a side note, I opted to purchase a bag of assorted plastic gears from a hobby shop and there were some in the bag that were the right size and had the correct tooth count, however, the hole in the center was not big enough. So I had to drill it out little by little until I was able to force that metal sleeve (that was in the middle of the original gear) into the center. Then I forced it back on to the shaft and it stayed put ever since.

Comment

Working...
              X