Steering will shift in corners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering will shift in corners

I think I've diagnosed this problem, but I want to get some other's thoughts on this.

When cornering (and also when just stopped, car idling) I can turn the wheel, and at some point, the steering will seem to give a little bit. When cornering, I can feel the steering feel like its ever so slightly starting to bind up a little bit (the steering effort gets higher) and then if I turn the wheel a little more, it releases suddenly. If feels like something is starting to bind, then I turn the wheel and the binding "thing" releases all of a sudden.

In corners, it doesn't cause any problem with the car's cornering, but it sure is an uncomfortable feeling.

I've checked it out in the driveway with the engine idling, and I dont see anything shifting, or moving out of the ordinary at the point of the steering going through this bind/release. But then again, its hard to turn the wheel while looking at the steering column.

Lastly, I've done this with the engine off (so, no power steering) and it doesnt do this at all. I think this rules out anything mechanical in nature binding up.

All this makes me think the steering rack is getting a little f'd up.

Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone confirm it's the rack? Thanks.

Sounds like you did a good job with diag the problem. Check the P/S fluid to see if it is low. Could be a leak in the rack you don't see yet. Sounds like a hydrolic problem and not a mechanical.
    Originally posted by cabriodster87
    "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
    Originally posted by Kershaw
    i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

It is the rack, I have one that does this about every 1/3 turn or so, it get really, really tight then loosens, it did it even with the PS belt off, so likely a new rack would fix it. Once I get another engine for that car I'll get a rack too and let you know....

Comment

I have the exact same problem, but I only notice it only intermediately. Its not too bothersome but id still be interested in whats wrong.

Comment

Working...
        X