No announcement yet.

Power Steering leak. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I ever win the lotto I'll tell you about it....

.....I'll even make sure to send a bellboy to your door to pick up your bags too :roll:
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Sounds good. Good luck with fixing your car tomorrow.

Comment

*sigh* I'm a lost case as a mechanic..... ok the breaker bar is too fucking big to fit in there....

It's getting to a point that if I ever get this solved, the second I start the car.... I will find the first abandoned road and start abusing the car for all the pain and agony 2 stupid bolts have caused me :?
        EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

Feedback Thread

Comment

At this point it seems your only option is to take it somewhere.

Pay to have them losen them if you seriously cant get it yourself.
          Or pay to have them do the entire job....
          Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift
            *sigh* I'm a lost case as a mechanic..... ok the breaker bar is too fucking big to fit in there....

It's getting to a point that if I ever get this solved, the second I start the car.... I will find the first abandoned road and start abusing the car for all the pain and agony 2 stupid bolts have caused me :?
            Alright, you need to step back and think about what you are doing. If the bar does not fit in there maybe it will with the extension. Work from under the car. For the bolt on the rack put a socket on the extension and then put the bar into the extension and you'll have a lot more space. For the bolt on the top of the pump (it's on the top, right? Not on the side? I don't remember off hand) try to get more space by taking out the air box and loosening the alternator. Sometimes you gotta take some things out of the way. Then again use the bar with extension to break the bolt loose.

Use your intelligence to fix the car, not emotions.

Comment

Originally posted by alex
              :nice: Mr. bigshot who has never encountered a situation before (yeah right)

Comment

I tried two different rack and pinions before I got my power steering fluid to stop leaking.

I get the impression that E30s all seem to have power steering problems.

I went for a couple of months without power steering, thinking I could probably do it..
                but nope. I found I need it.

Anyway.. good luck with fixing your leak.

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine
                  Mr. bigshot who has never encountered a situation before (yeah right)
                  Well, just this past weekend, finishing my suspension swap at 3:30 am on Monday morning I managed to put one of the brake pads in the wrong way. Inside out that is... Metal backing plate to metal rotor... I managed to get to school fine. It wasn't braking as well as it used too and was making some strange noises, but it still slowed the car down ok.

So yes, thank you Eric, for making sure that I stay on track :-)
                  I'm sure you have never used emotions while fixing something, like broken pressure plate for example... 8)

So I guess I can say that I've been there, done that. Like trying to press control arm bushings with bare hands or using 17 mm wrench on 16 mm nuts on driveshaft flanges (you kow what happens if you do that?). Or how about driving around with a hole in the floor? Breaking control arm ball joint, The list goes on... :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift

Alright, you need to step back and think about what you are doing. If the bar does not fit in there maybe it will with the extension. Work from under the car. For the bolt on the rack put a socket on the extension and then put the bar into the extension and you'll have a lot more space. For the bolt on the top of the pump (it's on the top, right? Not on the side? I don't remember off hand) try to get more space by taking out the air box and loosening the alternator. Sometimes you gotta take some things out of the way. Then again use the bar with extension to break the bolt loose.

Yes maybe I'm not thinking straight because I have optimism set for downfall whenever I come back from Sears and the first thing goes wrong.... making me go beserk to waste another trip ( I made 3 trips already to that place ).

Plus let me explain where I currently am:

I am working from under the car since day one. Both nuts/bolts/whatever are 19mm. Using extensions are useless. I tried this yesterday. The main problem is that if you use an extension, you'll get stuck somewhere along the way. First of all... the clearance space between the bolts and whatever is on top of it is about 1-2in. So fitting a socket and a 3/8 wrench is already a mission and 1/2 and I'm constantly scratching w/e is above the power steering pump. In the rack bolt.... directly above it ( in relation to the bolt itself which is perpendicular to the floor ), which is definetly no more than 2 inches of clearance as well, is the engine itself....

So my first problem is to get a socket + wrench to fit. Now I can do that with the 3/8 one, but I dont have enough leverage to loosen the nuts.

My second problem is with the breaker bar..... that thing is like 15 inches long. You go try to get a 15 inch metal stick to fit inside an engine bay, while being parallel to the floor. ( Hey maybe you could do it in someway I haven'y )

But whatever I have spoken to a good friend of mine with an e30.... he is ASE certified. He cant work on my car this week because he is working late, but if I couldnt get this done by Friday, we would meet up at his shop Sat. morning and he would loosen them for me.

Hopefully this drama will end soon..... I'm still hoping I can get this by today.

Thanks for all your help guys and keep the ideas coming,
                    Erick

Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by e9nine
                      Mr. bigshot who has never encountered a situation before (yeah right)
                      So yes, thank you Eric, for making sure that I stay on track :-)
                      I'm sure you have never used emotions while fixing something, like broken pressure plate for example... 8)
                      Hey gotta make sure you're not slacking. In my opinion as an e30 owner these are the traits that show those of who wrench at varying degrees of complexity...I am an intermediate wrencher 8)

Comment

If you can get a wrench on it then make a breaker bar that is what my dad told me to do when i was removing the differential in my parts car and it worked.

Lets see if i can try and describe how to do this simple thing.

Get the size wrench you need now put the box end on the bolt now that you did that grab a wrench that is a size bigger and now place the box end on the open end of the wrench that is on the bolt now you probably will have to do this under the car and now that your under the car push up with all your might on the wrench that is connected to the wrech you are using.

I sure hope it works.

Goodluck
                        Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Super Eta
                          If you can get a wrench on it then make a breaker bar that is what my dad told me to do when i was removing the differential in my parts car and it worked.

Lets see if i can try and describe how to do this simple thing.

Get the size wrench you need now put the box end on the bolt now that you did that grab a wrench that is a size bigger and now place the box end on the open end of the wrench that is on the bolt now you probably will have to do this under the car and now that your under the car push up with all your might on the wrench that is connected to the wrech you are using.

I sure hope it works.

Goodluck
                          Ryan
                          I'm not completely sure of what you meant, but if it is what I'm assuming, then I've tried that on day 1 and no go either.... :?

Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
                          X