Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M106 Into My E30 Touring..

Hello all,

I'm Shoomakan and as you may know, I have an M30 in my E30 Touring.

Since I'm a power freak, I must say I'm getting bored of the power I get from my car, especially since my friend's modded Megane RS overtook me.

So, I went and bought an M106, which is the 3.5 litre version of the 745i.
    Now, stock output is 252bhp and 280ft/lb, at 6 psi.

I don't have questions for the swap, but for specific combinations. Like, is my M30b35 head better on the M106 as it has bigger valves and more flow? Also, it lowers the CR, which is always a good thing on turbo'd cars.

Second, what cam should I run? There are 292" M30 turbo cams, and I'm entertaining that idea, but still not sure.

Third, I keep getting mixed answers to my ever popular question, are M106 pistons FORGED OR NOT?!!!?

ANY input is more than welcome, advice or experience.
    sigpic

i would say that r3v might not be the best place to ask those questions maybe a forum dealing more with the cars whose engines you are using,
    that being said im sure some on here will have some good information for you
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Turbo guys tend to hang out over at www.e30tech.com

or you could google Turbo Charging Dynamics

Comment

M106 pistons are not forged as far as I know, but they may have a different shape as far as the dome is concerned. Stock cams are best for turbo applications according to Corky Bell's book, but Todd at TCD has stated that the 264 (Euro B34) and 272 (early 533/633/733) cams can make some nice changes in power and torque on the turbo engines. The B35 head does have bigger valves and will lower compression considerably which is great if you plan on running more boost. On a stock us spec B34, a B35 head will lower compression from 8:1 to roughly 7.2:1 for what it's worth.
        '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Remember Todd own that crazy Twin Turbod 745i with a custom interior. That was a sweet ride, they took the twin system off and added a newer single setup and it made better numbers.

Beau B work at the shop part time, pm him or send TCD an email.

Comment

Thanks alot, guys...

I would like to lower the CR, but if the pistons aren't forged, they're limiting the potential of this setup... So I won't be able to up the boost anyways.
            sigpic

Comment

The M30 pistons not being forged is not really a big deal unless you plan on pushing lots of boost. The M30 is a ridiculously robust engine and will easily handle what TCD's stage 2 kit pumps into it with absolutely zero modification. I think stage 2 is 14psi or so...
              '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Here's another question.. I have long ago completed the swap, but still running stock boost. Now, I've already ordered some head bolts and an MLS head gasket, but I'm worried about my stock fuel pump.

Now, the fuel pump I have is off of an E34 535i, and it's set to 3 bar right now. However, it goes up to 10 bar. Can I use this pump when I go past 350bhp? Or do I get myself a Walbro?
                sigpic

Comment

I would think about a aftermarket pump, you could be overworking a factory pump. The last thing you want to do on a high horsepower engine is have a pump shit out on you during a hard pull.
                  1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Thanks dude.. You know how many horses a Walbro 255 can handle?
                    sigpic

Comment

Would love to do the same to my Touring ... M30 Turbo.

Comment

Working...
                      X