Power stays on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power stays on

When i turn my car off it still has power for aome reason. I can activate the wipers, my obc stays illuminated and the check lights by the rearview mirror stays on. Its killing my battery and makin me have to jump the car off all the time. Are these things all linked to one source? Is there a way to maybe run a switch to turn these off?

Bump!

Comment

Ignition switch?

Comment

I have one but havent installed it, i dnt think that its that seeing as i just bought the car and a young kid owned it before, he made all the wires under the dash look like spagetti

Comment

Originally posted by Xmedina View Post
          Are these things all linked to one source?
          Yes. All of those are normally disconnected from power with the operation of the ignition switch.

Is there a way to maybe run a switch to turn these off?
          Yes. The ignition switch.

Well, considering that it is the ignition switch that is supposed to turn the power off to all but a few circuits (SI board, OBC) and yours is not going off, it seems to me a likely culprit.

Has it acted this way since you acquired the vehicle? Or did it just begin to do this?

From your spaghetti comment, it is also possible that PO has has spliced into power for those affected circuits from a constant source instead of from the original ignition switch source (possibly because of an ignition switch fault). I'd start with the ignition switch. While you are in there you should trace the offending circuits to determine from where they are receiving power.

For example, in my car fuse 21 is constant power for the door chime while fuse 10 is switched power for the seat belt warning timer. The windshield wipers get power from fuse 5. So in my car, if I pull fuse 5 and the wipers still operate, I know someone has changed the power source for the wipers.

Comment

its been like this since i bought it

Comment

Solved it, it was a to high of an amp fuse it had a 20amp instead of 7.5 changed it and problem is gone thx man!

Comment

Solved it, it was a to high of an amp fuse it had a 20amp instead of 7.5 changed it and problem is gone thx man!
                Really makes no sense, car dosnt care weather you use a 100 amp or a 20 amp...it only matters when something shorts or draws too much power and it blows, too high of an amperage fuse and youll destroy circuitry or wiring.
                -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

^^ What he said.

Using the wrong amperage fuse can not cause the symptoms you described.

That being said, glad you are happy.

Comment

Lol thx, but thats all i did and it wrked

Comment

Your fuse change did not fix the basic problem, unless the smaller fuse blew.

The problem with the car is the hack wiring job (99.999% certainty). To fix it the first step would be rip out any and all aftermarket electronics or mods, then return the car's wiring to the configuration it had whn it left the factory, and finally properly re-install any desired aftermarket electronics.
                      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

It only has an aftermarket radio installed, but the problem did go away my battery isnt dieing, obc turns off, wipers stay off...soo i duno...this is weird

Comment

Ok nvm u guys were right this problem wasnt fixed

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Nothing is free in this life.

If you want it fixed, you are either going to have to fix it or to pay someone else to fix it.

Comment

Let me know what wires you end up redoing.

Comment

Working...
                              X