Tranny Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny Problems

So I have problems shifting into first and starting on my g260. sometimes i will shift in and then pop out once i start letting the clutch out. When the car is cold it works fine even if i drop the clutch, but once the car is driven a little and warms up, it starts having issues again. Also the shifts are a little rough. At first i thought it was my slave or master, but i replaced both. Now Im wondering if its maybe time to change the tranny fluid. Any thoughts?

Have you checked the fluid level?

1983 528e, 200k mile club, BBS Mahles.

Comment

No I haven't but I figure I might as well change it since I don't know when it was last changed and before the car sat for over a year at least

Comment

That will be worn selector parts inside the transmission.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Inside. So I need a new tranny is what your saying? Well I'm gonna try changing the fluid first. I have an extra g260 but I don't want to swap it unless I absolutely have to and I figure since it works fine when the car is cold that's what it is

Comment

so i checked the fluid level in the tranny. i was shocked. there was less the half a quart. there needs to be 2 right? so i bought redline mt 90 ( thats what i heard was the best ) and i bought valvoline 85w140 gl5 for my diff and limited slip additive. is this all the right stuff?

Comment

The transmission takes a bit over a quart, so you need two quarts to change the fluid. But low fluid (or the wrong fluid) won't cause his problem.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I did buy two quarts and less then half a quart seems like it could. People can have issues just from bad fluid as far as I've read. So I'm gonna try this. If it work it works if not then I have a spare tranny

Comment

ok. so update. got underneath my vert today. put in new tranny fluid (redline mt90) and not only does first gear work but every gear shifts like butter. so happy:). then i went to change my diff oil and noticed that i had a 2.93lsd. wth? good thing i checked now. supposed to come with a 4.10lsd. i went to check what i had in my parts car vert and it had a 3.73lsd. so i swapped the diff today and man do i feel a huge difference in power. i think i will be satisfied with this one for a while. never knew changing fluid had such a huge difference on the tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by timmyr77 View Post
                    ok. so update. got underneath my vert today. put in new tranny fluid (redline mt90) and not only does first gear work but every gear shifts like butter. so happy:). then i went to change my diff oil and noticed that i had a 2.93lsd. wth? good thing i checked now. supposed to come with a 4.10lsd. i went to check what i had in my parts car vert and it had a 3.73lsd. so i swapped the diff today and man do i feel a huge difference in power. i think i will be satisfied with this one for a while. never knew changing fluid had such a huge difference on the tranny.

my rusty bitch had an orgasm when i filled her up good with MT90 haha

Comment

Working...
                    X