not sure what's going on with shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not sure what's going on with shifter

So the previous owner put a short shifter in and I really hate the shift knob that is on it. I took off the knob and then decided to take off the boot or whatever and here is what is underneath. Does anyone know what that cut wire is supposed to connect to? and does everything else look ok? Since there aren't any threads at the top, do I just look for some other type of threadless knob? BTW, the shifter moves side to side a ton when in gear. But I never have any trouble going from gear to gear, it is just weird feeling.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like PeruvianRambo93.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like PeruvianRambo93.

reverse light switch?

Our shift knobs have no threads, its just a push/snap in. THe other bmw knobs are the same.

You can tighten up the slop by replacing the shifter bushings and rear carrier bushing.
    Web Designer / Front End Developer
    My Portfolio & Website

IG: @w_illriderz

Comment

I would go with reverse light switch or cigarette lighter. Do you have anything not working around the shifter? Could it have been an illuminated shift knob?
      1995 SC300 2JZGTE
      2000 Volvo
      2006 Civic

Comment

Pretty sure it's the reverse light switch wire as mentioned earlier. I actually have a similar shifter installed in my car, albeit a less beat-the-hell-up one. As far as getting another knob, just take the current one to Lowe's or wherever, go to the hardware section and match up the thread pattern to a bolt there to make sure you buy the right knob with the correct thread. And like ky0u said, replacing the old and worn bushings in the shifter linkages will definitely tighten everything up.
        All I wanted was a tomahawk....

Comment

Originally posted by RLTW86 View Post
          As far as getting another knob, just take the current one to Lowe's or wherever, go to the hardware section and match up the thread pattern to a bolt there to make sure you buy the right knob with the correct thread.
          The knobs on our cars don't use a thread. It's just a snap in. That horizontal gap at the top of the lever corresponds with a tab on the underside of the knobs. You just line it up and push it down til it clicks
          My Portfolio & Website

Comment

My reverse lights don't work, so I'm guessing that is it. I'll try to do some research on how to rewire them or if it is even possible. Maybe I can just wire it to a switch somewhere to manually turn them on and off if I can't put it back to normal...?
            And so buying a stock bmw knob off amazon should just fit then?
            And aight, awesome. I will look into some bushings then. Or I might look into a different short shifter that I know is more reputable.

Comment

Originally posted by ky0u View Post
              The knobs on our cars don't use a thread. It's just a snap in. That horizontal gap at the top of the lever corresponds with a tab on the underside of the knobs. You just line it up and push it down til it clicks

My bad: Didn't notice that the first time I looked at the pictures . The shifter I put in is threaded.
              All I wanted was a tomahawk....

Comment

Originally posted by PeruvianRambo93 View Post
                My reverse lights don't work, so I'm guessing that is it. I'll try to do some research on how to rewire them or if it is even possible. Maybe I can just wire it to a switch somewhere to manually turn them on and off if I can't put it back to normal...?
                And so buying a stock bmw knob off amazon should just fit then?
                And aight, awesome. I will look into some bushings then. Or I might look into a different short shifter that I know is more reputable.
                the other end of that wire is a connector (switch) that plugs into the bell housing of the transmission. If the other end is intact, you might be able to solder a new set of wires in but chances are the switch was faulty which is why it was cut in the first place. The harness and switch shouldnt be that expensive to replace

I believe all the bmw shift knobs for MT are the same set up. I'd suggest the weighted zhp knob though. Also if you're planning on switching the shift lever, there's a member on here "thegoodguy" who sells the kits. They're OE bmw levers from different cars. Most people like the z3 1.9 shifter. I personally ran with the e60 5 series lever. Do keep in mind, the shorter the lever is, the notchier the throws will feel. A weighted knob will help a lot in this case. Garagistic also sells some nice bushings to tighten up the shift feel. They're also on this forum
                Last edited by ky0u; 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM.
                My Portfolio & Website

Comment

the other end of that wire is a connector (switch) that plugs into the bell housing of the transmission. If the other end is intact, you might be able to solder a new set of wires in but chances are the switch was faulty which is why it was cut in the first place. The harness and switch shouldnt be that expensive
                  Ah, ok. Well I will try to look in there and see if the other end is connected or not. Where is this end supposed to connect? There is a connector right there at the top and the piece that is connected is the part that has wires cut. So I should maybe be able to just get the part that plugs into that?

Comment

Originally posted by PeruvianRambo93 View Post
                    Ah, ok. Well I will try to look in there and see if the other end is connected or not. Where is this end supposed to connect? There is a connector right there at the top and the piece that is connected is the part that has wires cut. So I should maybe be able to just get the part that plugs into that?

The way it is, its like 2 wires (neg/pos) together where one end is a connector that plugs into the harness in the shifter console (the one you took a pic of) and the other end plugs into a slot near the top of the transmission housing. Your best bet would be to just buy a new one. The switch is most likely bad and the PO probably just cut it because of that. Pelican parts sells the switch.

I added more info to my post above to help you out with your other questions as well.
                    My Portfolio & Website

Comment

I believe all the bmw shift knobs for MT are the same set up. I'd suggest the weighted zhp knob though. Also if you're planning on switching the shift lever, there's a member on here "thegoodguy" who sells the kits. They're OE bmw levers from different cars. Most people like the z3 1.9 shifter. I personally ran with the e60 5 series lever. Do keep in mind, the shorter the lever is, the notchier the throws will feel. A weighted knob will help a lot in this case. Garagistic also sells some nice bushings to tighten up the shift feel. They're also on this forum
                      Awesome, thank you. I'll keep that stuff in mind.

Oh, and thanks for the info about the reverse stuff. I will check out prices on that.

Comment

Working...
                      X