From Neutral to Park to start ignition? 1990 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I just picked up a 1990 325i, nice car, very well maintained since new with service records going back to 1994.

It's got some quirky shit going on.

The biggest one, occasionally when starting (or attempting to start) the vehicle, it'll sound like a dead battery dud-start and the car won't turn over. All you gotta do is slide it into Neutral with the ignition switch at the half-way point, foot on the brake, then slide it back into Park and BINGO! she starts right up when you turn her over.

Secondly, the clock is spazzing out, straight twitching. However, the thermometer works, and clock reads 1200 date reads 0100. Not too worried about it. But the top left button on the clock when pressed is the twitchy one. Screen just blinks different stuff.

And my passenger side front turn signal is done, looks like a bad housing, as if you press the bulb in it kind of works. Inside it blinks fast, like there's a relay out or burnt bulb.

Anyone experience the first Park to Neutral thing?

Could be the neutral switch in the selector that stops it starting. It's not actually on the gearbox itself. Just wiggle it a little in park and see if it works. I can't remember if it's like most auto's and you can just start them in neutral too. So if it won't work in park, you might still be able to get it going in neutral without having to move gears.
    Just a little project im working on
    - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Haven't tried it yet as this happens pretty infrequently.

But it does happen as the previous owner had mentioned it to me.

It should fire up in Neutral too, but next time it happens I'll try that out.

Comment

Oh and when I fire it up for the first time it idles like shit. Once it warms up it's all good.

Mechanic said I'd have to change my ICV but I'm thinking I'll just try cleaning it first.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
          Could be the neutral switch in the selector that stops it starting. It's not actually on the gearbox itself.
          Nope, the switch is part of the shifter.

@ the OP, the rough start is probably from intake leaks. Start with a smoke test.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post

@ the OP, the rough start is probably from intake leaks. Start with a smoke test.
            intake leak? but it smoothes out right good, like no issues what so ever once it heats up.

Comment

Yes, I mean the switch is in the selector, not on the trans like some other vehicles
              Just a little project im working on
              - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Originally posted by dirtethirty View Post
                intake leak? but it smoothes out right good, like no issues what so ever once it heats up.
                A cold engine requires a richer mixture, which the engine management system is programmed to supply. Minor intake leaks can be enough to lean out the starting mixture enough to be noticeable, but not be noticeable once the engine is hotter and no longer needs the rich starting mixture.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

A cold engine requires a richer mixture, which the engine management system is programmed to supply. Minor intake leaks can be enough to lean out the starting mixture enough to be noticeable, but not be noticeable once the engine is hotter and no longer needs the rich starting mixture.
                  I'll be checking via smoke leak (soapy bubbles)

Anything/anywhere I should be focusing my attention

Comment

For your clock answer, if it's a 6 button, they do that with heat.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                      For your clock answer, if it's a 6 button, they do that with heat.

so it's overheating somewhere?
                      or is it getting too much power?
                      is this safe?

Comment

It's fine, it's just old. You could always buy another off the forums but then that one might also have the same problem, it's pretty common.

Oh, when it does it, give it a tap in the middle. Usually fixes it. That's what I do, or did before I got a analog clock in replacement. ;)

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                        1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                        1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                        1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                        1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                        1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                        Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                        1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                        1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

I have the same thing with the clock. Tapping it makes it work. Same with my gas gauge when I get low. Doesn't bother me because Im planning to change it anyways.

But the starting problem... it sounds like what happens to me sometimes, except i just try it again and give it some gas.. I don't really know what the fuck I'm doing. Sometimes I think I'm just not turning it hard enough because I'm used to much newer cars, other times it starts and is idling before I'm even done turning it. As long as it starts I'm happy I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                            It's fine, it's just old. You could always buy another off the forums but then that one might also have the same problem, it's pretty common.

Oh, when it does it, give it a tap in the middle. Usually fixes it. That's what I do, or did before I got a analog clock in replacement. ;)
                            awesome, was the analog clock a hard replacement? I'd imagine there were a few extra wires left over after the swap?

Comment

Originally posted by peter321 View Post
                              I have the same thing with the clock. Tapping it makes it work. Same with my gas gauge when I get low. Doesn't bother me because Im planning to change it anyways.

But the starting problem... it sounds like what happens to me sometimes, except i just try it again and give it some gas.. I don't really know what the fuck I'm doing. Sometimes I think I'm just not turning it hard enough because I'm used to much newer cars, other times it starts and is idling before I'm even done turning it. As long as it starts I'm happy I guess.
                              i fuckin love these cars
                              so sketchy!

Comment

Working...
                              X