Passenger side door will not unlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passenger side door will not unlock

Not sure how it happened but my passenger side door will not unlock. It was working fine until 2 days ago.

Central locking works when locking & unlocking with the driver side lock and trunk lock. Using the key in the passenger side door I can only lock all doors but unable to unlock the passenger side door as they key will not turn clockwise.

The passenger side outside handle pulls up but the door does not unlatch, the inside door handle does not move and I was able to yank up the door pin but that did not unlock the door.

I can't see how I can take off my doorcard without damaging it as it is pressed against the rubber seal.

So anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to how to unlock the door? Or how to take the door card off without damaging it?

TIA for any help.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Maybe it needs lubricated? I find the best lubricant is the "de-icer" that sprays directly into the cylinder, then graphite.

Comment

It took a lot of patience but I was able to pop the top of the door card off, then using a coat hanger and key I was able to coax the latch to unlock.

With the door panel off I was able to see that one of the rods was bent preventing the door latch from to unlocking. How this rod got bent this badly I do not know, but after I straightened the rod the door lock operated normally again.

Comment

Same issue started last week, need to see whats wrong with it. Ill check my rod for straightness.

Comment

The rod (red arrow) was bent inwards as shown by the yellow arrows.

The only possibility of force bending the rod is when I grabbed the door pin and pulled up on it, but this doesn't make sense as the force is going in the wrong direction.

Comment

Working...
          X