lock issue with 3 keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lock issue with 3 keys

so my car has an usual set up, key ring has 3 keys on it. all are shitty copies

key 1 - goes in driver side door(barely and only sometimes) and only unlocks driver door. i dont use it cuz it rarely goes in and is bending.
    key 2 - goes in passenger door, unlocks every door except driver door
    key 3 - goes in trunk, unlocks driver side doors and starts the car.

so 3 keys is annoying since the only one that works 100% is the trunk. but if passenger doors are unlocked. it wont lock any doors unless i manually lock passenger side then itll lock driver side doors.

so my question is if i purchase a keyless entry system and set it up in the trunk like everyone does. will it unlock all my doors or will it only do the 2 driver side doors like the trunk currently does??

3 keys for different doors is too much.

keys set

if your central locking and all door actuators are working then yes it should open all doors ,as long as lock are not put into deadbolt (drivers door key left horizontal in lock position). sounds like you may have issues though as any lock that works should open all the doors

another option is to purchase an new lock set that includes every lock in the car keyed the same with all new factory keys its solves the multiple key issues, will update this later with a link to the kit and part number
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

that would be awesome.

update. key 2 opens the passenger door and rear driver side door only.

Comment

Since you have one key that will operate the ignition, driver side doors, and trunk, the odds are that it is close to what the OE key was cut to. The first thing I'd do would be to get a new key from your dealer referenced to the car's VIN. If, as it may well do, operate all of the locks, order a spare and toss all the keys you have now.

If the central locking works from any door, a remote entry system will do the same, regardless of the keys.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Complete new lock sets with new keys are available. Find the part number on RealOEM.

Are all 3 keys the same cut pattern?

Comment

master key locking

here's the kit for the M3 which is basically the same and gives you an idea whats in the kit, takes about an hour to change them all

fifth post down the 2dr kit is # 51-21-1-904-727

go to Realoem for your make/model/vin # and go to
            Bodywork => Master key locking / key
            Angus
            88 E30M3 X2
            89 325IX
            92 R100GS/PD

Comment

what the weird thing is like when i use the trunk to unlock, the passenger ones move, like they try a little to go down but then give up and unlock everything again. Could it be that the lock is stubborn on that one. when i use the passenger door key, it only works 1 way and its a bitch to get it to turn.

Comment

there is a good trouble shooter in all the ETM's that i have looked at .have you downloaded the one for your specific car?

download here http://www.wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm and go to section for central locking 5126 ,the following pages 5126A 1-3 have diag flow charts and a good description of how they should work. i wonder if you have a problem with your lock inhibit switch
                Angus
                88 E30M3 X2
                89 325IX
                92 R100GS/PD

Comment

Originally posted by xsdx View Post
                  what the weird thing is like when i use the trunk to unlock, the passenger ones move, like they try a little to go down but then give up and unlock everything again. Could it be that the lock is stubborn on that one. when i use the passenger door key, it only works 1 way and its a bitch to get it to turn.
                  That could be a sticky or damaged latch/lock mechanism in that door. Take it (and the driver's side) latch/lock out, wash out all of the old, dried up, lube, and relube with Lubriplate. After +20 years the lube gets pretty stiff.

The problem with the key could be from the latch/lock, the lock cylinder, or the slightly off key.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                  X