V-belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-belts

I'm in the process of putting on a new alternator belt. The old one snapped off.

I'm trying to take the power steering belt off at the moment ( permenetly actually, untill I can replace my ultra leaky rack). I loosened ALL of the bolts that have that weird tension belt on it. So this bracket wiggles around, but the tension on the pully stayed the same. I loosening the very last bolt on the pump that is not facing the engine and all it did was start to leak PS fluid everywhere.

The only other bolt i can think of is one more bolt that is attatched to the bracket, but the backet is loose without this bolt being loose. I dont think that is it, and other than that I have no idea how to get the pulley loose. There are the 4 bolts on the pulley itself, but the bently never said anything about that.

Also:

for the A/C belt do I really need to get that special tool the bently talks about for gettingn the right tension?

When it comes time for me to add in the new altornator belt, do I just loosen all of the bolts holding in the alternator and pivoit it? Does that speical bolt NEED to be the last one loosened?

Does the fan need removed to get the belt onto the water pump pulley?

To stop having PS, just cut the belt. Fuck it. If it is giving you this much problems then cut the thing off. As for the alt. Just loosen the nut with the teeth on it (19mm iirc) and have a 13mm on the back side. The teeth allow you to pull up the tension on the belt. Then you tighten it to secure it in place.

Yes you have to take the clutch fan off to get the wter pump pulley off.
    Originally posted by cabriodster87
    "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
    Originally posted by Kershaw
    i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
      To stop having PS, just cut the belt. Fuck it. If it is giving you this much problems then cut the thing off. As for the alt. Just loosen the nut with the teeth on it (19mm iirc) and have a 13mm on the back side. The teeth allow you to pull up the tension on the belt. Then you tighten it to secure it in place.

Yes you have to take the clutch fan off to get the wter pump pulley off.
      Just a little tip on the special 19mm nut on the alternator bracket. You might want to loosen the 13mm nut on the other size instead of turning the 19mm nut to not damage the teeth on the bracket. I found that it strips easy, I am on my 2nd one lol.
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Thanks!

Well I would like to have powersteering, so taking the belt off the right way so would be best since i'll be putting one back on the in future. If all the bolts are loose on the ps pump... then there must be something keeping the tension on the belt. Do I have to physical move the PS pump to loosen the tension on the belt?

Same for the A/C too?

edit:

the special 19mm nut is loose along with the bracket it bolts too.. just to clear things up a little as to what needs to be done after this to remove the PS belt

Comment

I just cut the A/C belt when I removed A/C and cut the P/S belt when I had the belts replaced. I've yet to replace the PS pump bushings but it does look like it would rotate enough to give the belt some slack..
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

So I need to find a way to move the pump down to remove the belt.

thanks

Comment

Got both the belts off. All you guys had to say was remove the bolts! The Bentley says you just have to loosen them, but I had to remove them to get any movement in the ps pump and the a/c compressor. I had to wack the a/c compressor a few times with a rubber mallet to get any movement also.

Now its time for the clutch fan. I had my mom go to dicks while she was out already to pick up the 32mm ratchet but of course its the wrong one so I'm going to have to go back now.

Few Q:

1. When I'm putting the A/C belt back on do I need that special tool the Bentley talks about for the tension? If not I guess I just bolt up the two bolts that hold it to the engine and then use the special 19mm bolt to tighten the tension?

2. Would it be a bad idea to totally remove the fan shroud while im down there? Would this mess up the airflow to much, or will it be ok?
              Last edited by Schniddy; 05-29-2007, 03:48 PM.

Comment

You did loosen the bolts that are on the bottom (not just the tensioner bolts) so that the AC and PS pump could pivot, right? Same with the alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                  You did loosen the bolts that are on the bottom (not just the tensioner bolts) so that the AC and PS pump could pivot, right? Same with the alternator.
                  probably. The PS pump had a bunch of bolts while the ac compressor just 3 all together.

Just got back from dicks. The guy was super nice and we talked for about 5mins. Gave him the website and my screen name. Super clean car with the exact same miles as mine...exact

Comment

I got the alternator belt on. I know it is not to loose because nothing is slipping, but how do i tell if it is too tight? When trying to turn the alt fan blades by my self it takes extreme force to make them move. Is this normal, or should it be looser???

ALSO

I still need to put the AC compression belt back on. Do i need the special tool that the Bentley calls for, or is it unnecessary???

I’m going to go put on my new eta compatible super sprint muffler on now. Once I’m done hopefully someone will have chimed in and answered those two questions for me!!

Thanks
                    Jon

Comment

I didn't need any special too for my A/C belt............

As for being too tight, I was always told that if you can press the belt down 1/2 inch to 1 inch then it's good. More is too loose.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
                      When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
                      "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
                      Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

Working...
                      X