Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bad battery or alternator-- how to tell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad battery or alternator-- how to tell?

i can't tell whether my alternator or battery needs fixing. if my car sits for a few days, it will not start up on its own (need to use a portable car starter i always keep in the trunk).

if i start it up that way, then drive around for about 20-30 min, and then park it, it will start up on its own.

which leads me to believe it's probably the battery not retaining charge and needs replacement. but how can i be sure?

how do i test my alternator (while it's still in the vehicle)? Can i measure the voltage going INTO the battery while the car is running or something?

Sounds like the battery or excessive parasitic draw that is draining the battery while it is parked. The alternator is apparently working and charging the battery, or else the car wouldn't start after driving.

You can do some simple checks of the alternator. With the battery at full, or nearly full, charge the system voltage at idle should be a bit better that 13v and it should remain above 13v when the head lights and heater blower are turned on. System voltage should rise to a bit above 14v at 2500rpm.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

can i just attach a voltmeter right to the + and - cables that hook onto the battery?

Comment

^ Yes. You should be getting 14+ volts with the engine ideling.
        Originally posted by cabriodster87
        "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
        Originally posted by Kershaw
        i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Disconnect the negative cable from your battery and use a multimeter (between the disconnected cable and the negative terminal) to measure drain in amps. The number should be very low (less than 1). If it isn't begin pulling fuses to find your drain. Once you pull a fuse which drops the drain significantly - you've found your problem.
          1995 Porsche 993 6 speed
          2001 BMW M3 6 speed - DD
          2001 BMW 530iA Sport - Hers
          2005 KTM 450EXC 6 speed

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Clone
          1988 BMW 325is x2
          1985 BMW M635CSI 286hp
          2001 KTM 400MXC

Comment

Working...
          X