DIY - E36 window switch retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BDSax View Post
    even if the colors of the wires are different, if you use the pin # and lay outs, it will work the same
    Thats what i thought, and I did, but I just keep blowing fuses I tried the other switch i had and it didnt work either. If the switch was faulty, would it blow a fuse like this?
    sigpic

Comment

even if the colors of the wires are different, if you use the pin # and lay outs, it will work the same

true

I've always been proud of being a Marine.
      I won't hesitate to defend the Corps
      "Supersquad"

‎"Prostitutes are a sub-category of Amusement Parks"-

Comment

I have no idea if/how IX wiring in terms of power windows is different (doesn't make sense to me that it would, but wouldn't surprise me if it is) but I would browse through the wiring schematics and see if they are in fact the same between the IX and another model/car.

Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

wow that looks like some good info, now if only i knew how to read it easier. Guess I need to print it out, and take a close look. Thanks Jean.
          sigpic

Comment

just use a multimeter and follow thew pin numbers. if you can take any e30, e28 ect...... window switch and plug it in, then the pin layouts are ALL the same.
            NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

Fuck...I'm all corn-fused, I cant figure it out. Although i did take off my white base(e36) switches and wire them to the rears, just as i did the fronts and they worked! I think the blues might just be bad. If anyone has white base e36 switches let me know. Thanks.
              AW
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post
                Fuck...I'm all corn-fused, I cant figure it out. Although i did take off my white base(e36) switches and wire them to the rears, just as i did the fronts and they worked! I think the blues might just be bad. If anyone has white base e36 switches let me know. Thanks.
                AW
                it sounds like bad switches . BMA sell them

"Supersquad"

Comment

yea but not the harness'...right?

EDIT: oh you mean just buying the "switch(blue) part, not the harness?
                  sigpic

Comment

yea but not the harness'...right?

EDIT: oh you mean just buying the "switch(blue) part, not the harness?

correct they will work thats how my switches are done I hope this helps

"Supersquad"

Comment

just use a multimeter and follow thew pin numbers. if you can take any e30, e28 ect...... window switch and plug it in, then the pin layouts are ALL the same.

I'm not sure I'm following you here. So to test if the blue e36 switch is bad, take a mulitmeter and "follow the pins"? How do I know if its not sending current when I press up or down? I'm not the best when it comes to electronics.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure I'm following you here. So to test if the blue e36 switch is bad, take a mulitmeter and "follow the pins"? How do I know if its not sending current when I press up or down? I'm not the best when it comes to electronics.
                        look at the back of the switch and by each prong there will be a number. just match up the numbers and follow my guide.
                        NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

e36 blue switch test

ok, so I set my multi meter to Ohms rx10.
                          put the black lead on the black/yell wire and the red lead to the blue wire. Needle goes all the way to the right. When I hit the down switch, the needle goes to the left.

Then i set the black lead on the blue/green wire, and the red lead on the black wire, needle on MM goes right. I press the up button on the switch and the needle goes left.

Is that the right way to test the switches? Are they good?
                          sigpic

Comment

AARON here r mine

"Supersquad"

Comment

Done!! I think the blue ones were bad so I cound some white base ones locally. In the pic it looks like they dont match the console, but in reality you cant tell. Also, i stuffed both breakers under the console, as it looks cleaner and i never use them anyway.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

nice can I have the old blue ones so I can used the wires to connect mine the right way.

"Supersquad"

Comment

Working...
                                X