Build: Devon saves a slicktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build: Devon saves a slicktop

so here we have it, i am finally taking on my OWN project. i have had some pretty cool e30's in the past year but always taking over someone else's build and then getting rid of it for whatever reason. not this time.

the car in question:
    1991 318is SLICKTOP. beat to shit. bone stock in everyway and needs major loving.

the plan:
    a fun daily driver that will perform in both autoX and drag races. swapping in a m20b27 super eta(will go into detail soon), new suspension, well new everything really. classy on the outside but a beast under the hood.

i picked up the car and it had no power steering, pulled to both the left and right and was scary to drive home.

that was probably why. replaced with new control arms and m3 offset CABs.

in the mean time i've been hoarding

decided it needed a drop and the 4x4 had to go in lou of IE3 springs, billy sports, new strut mounts, AKG RSM's and e90 drop hats.
    oh and yes my neighbors hate me

ubernasty, nick, helping out. we are quickly finding this car to be a PITA, but she's my PITA!

got that dull paint to shine

made a visit to shane snyder(aka the guy that keeps taking my hard earned money and exchanging it for heaps of e30 parts).
    finally picked up my motor. a 2.7 super eta.

i have a lot of goodies for this motor. 323i flywheel and cam, 17# injectors, i head, and some smaller items. motor will be going to machine shop for a FULL rebuild soon.

this should be a fun project, had the car less than a month and am already feeling the love. it takes a different kind of person to see a complete piece of shit, but know that you can turn it around and breath some life back into it.

stay thirtsty my friends.

special thanks to:
    nick (ubernasty) for always bailing my ass out when i strip bolts and drinking my beer
    shane snyder for gladly taking my money on a regular basis
    anyone i have purchased parts from for this project
    Last edited by devon.818; 02-27-2012, 05:04 PM.

put my sway bar on. fuckkkkkkkkkkkk

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

love that you just rip your car apart in a parking lot.

no garage? dgaf.

Comment

Originally posted by dothadance View Post
        love that you just rip your car apart in a parking lot.

no garage? dgaf.
        Lol. Apartment security will show up if I even reach for the toolbox in my trunk. Super jealous.
        Check my feedback HERE

Comment

You can tell nick put the tire shine on. Lol
          sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
          Build Thread:
          Current ongoing build. Check it out!
          1991 318is 4dr rallycross
          Rallycross Build Thread.
          1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

Originally posted by shEck3lls0 View Post
            You can tell nick put the tire shine on. Lol
            thats how you know nick's been somewhere, every car in the area has tire shine on!

Comment

Originally posted by devon.818 View Post
              thats how you know nick's been somewhere, every car in the area has tire shine on!

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Anymore pics with the IE3s?

Comment

i'll grab some more pics after i hit it with a few more coats of polish(the car was resprayed in a cheapo one stage paint, zero clear coat).

Comment

i'll grab some more pics after i hit it with a few more coats of polish(the car was resprayed in a cheapo one stage paint, zero clear coat).
                    Alright, thanks. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Wow thats a hefty drop! Just normal IE3s and e90 drophats? If they give that much of a drop alone im gonna pick up a set for my e30 asap!

I like this thread. Fellow slicktop owner!
                      1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                      1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                      1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                      1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Thats because your car left the factory with single stage paint :|
                        -Alex

Comment

had some fun today
                          new brakes, new calipers up front and new pads and rotors around paired with SS lines.
                          ran into the normal problems; rusted lines, rusted bolts, PITA cold weather.

had to notch a wrench and make a "box-end" to be safe.

got my motor parts sorted out

gonna strip the block down this week.

pulled the head and was happy to see some undamaged pistons and the crosshatching is very visable

all for now, oh and a quick pic

Comment

I'm glad you got this and it didin't go to someone else. I have to admit that I'm a big fan of slicktops and hope to eventually have one someday. And I always like to see someone take a beat up e30 and transform it. Props for this and I like it what you've done so far.
                            Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Devon, whats the estimated quarter mile time? I'm adding to the bet that my car will also be faster than yours in a straight line. Since we know who would win in the bends...

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Working...
                              X