IX bits to horde?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IX bits to horde?

So after some back and forth over the past year, I think I have decided to keep my IX for a while longer(almost 10 years so far). In making that decision, I was thinking of the sort of parts I should begin/contine to horde.

I already have an extra TC, front diff, but whatelse should I keep an eye out for? Front axles, rear diff obviously... What about steering rack? What else falls in this category?

Anything IX specific.

struts, block, axles, diffs, tcs, front subframe, steering u joint, transmission,... As much as you have the space for.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

IX bits to horde?

i have a leaking steering rack if you want it :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Front strut housings, shifter parts, ECU are a few more small ix-specific things.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          Front strut housings, shifter parts, ECU are a few more small ix-specific things.
          Our ECU is ix-specific? I didn't know that.

Comment

Originally posted by ghatid View Post
            Our ECU is ix-specific? I didn't know that.
            I believe so, there was a traction control on ix's.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              I believe so, there was a traction control on ix's.
              Unless it sucks ass it doesn't exist. Waiting for Nando to reply..
              Build Thread
              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
              Parts Thread
              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
                Unless it sucks ass it doesn't exist. Waiting for Nando to reply..
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

TIL. I've read that but I didn't remember that part. I wonder if mine still has the right one...

Comment

Originally posted by ghatid View Post
                    TIL. I've read that but I didn't remember that part. I wonder if mine still has the right one...
                    Hmm weird I guess you learn something new everyday. When I read that before I thought they were just using traction control where the 90% power transfer to the front wheels occur. It's not like we have active differentials, or even a throttle body cut off.. What are they mentioning with the abs being different than that of the "I". Does it apply brake force to one or more wheels? :rippedoff:
                    Build Thread
                    Parts Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
                      Hmm weird I guess you learn something new everyday. When I read that before I thought they were just using traction control where the 90% power transfer to the front wheels occur. It's not like we have active differentials, or even a throttle body cut off.. What are they mentioning with the abs being different than that of the "I". Does it apply brake force to one or more wheels? :rippedoff:
                      That's exactly what I thought. I just glazed over it because I figured they didn't have enough controls in the 80-90s to have anything remotely close to traction control and they were just talking about power transfer.

Comment

There has been a lot of constructive argument about this. The hardware is the same, but the tune might be different. I was under the impression that the tune compensated for engine braking to avoid a skid.

Comment

There is no tune. It's exactly the same. The ECU is the same.

It's actually all hardware that reduces engine braking. It does this by opening the ICV when it gets a signal from the ABS computer (this is an on/off signal - it's not complicated). There are two duplicate ICV circuits - one the computer controls to idle the engine, and the other for when engine braking is detected on a slick surface. All it does is open the ICV to 100%. The DME is completely unaware of it - it's no more than a simple switch.

And, this exists on all E30s with Motronic 1.1/1.3 ECUs - what the other cars are missing is the ABS computer (and basically, a mercury switch) that tells it when to fully open the ICV.

Again, there's no "tune" differences. It's not really traction control either.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks for clearing it up Nando. :bow:
                            Build Thread
                            Parts Thread

Comment

Good info. Is the "mercury switch" the gizmo mounted on the left wheel well up in front?

Comment

Working...
                              X