Using old BMW front plate accessory as a keyholder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using old BMW front plate accessory as a keyholder

I've gone years without and finally decided to look into one. I've got a few cars and need a better method of sorting the keys. I saw a bad ass CF key holder on ebay with BMW roundel and M emblem for $25 and had an idea. I picked up one of these years ago off a junk car. It was all beat up with paint flaking off and a trashed emblem.

I removed the emblem, sanded the plate down, primed and sprayed with plastidip. Drilled my holes and used wood behind it which I could screw hooks into.

Installed a new emblem and it's Finished!

Total cost was only a few bucks depending on how much you spend on the BMW emblem. I got a cheap one off ebay since it's just going to be hanging on the wall. I was going to put M emblems on the sides but thought it would be too much. I like the less is more look with just the BMW roundel in the center. Just wanted to share my little project. Feel free to post some of your custom holders.

Edit: It would look cleaner with a plate holder around it...hmmmmm.

Last edited by reelizmpro; 01-21-2017, 06:07 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

I love stuff like this. I've seen the valve cover as a key holder done a few times, and the engine block as a coffee table, but my favorite is someone took the internals of a M42 or something and build a dog statue out of it. BMW art FTW!!!
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Thanks, me too especially when it costs next to nothing. Updated it with an OE BMW plate holder I won at Sigfest.

"I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

The frame makes it. Some stainless hardware at the 4 mounting holes would take it to another level.
        sigpic
        1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
          The frame makes it. Some stainless hardware at the 4 mounting holes would take it to another level.
          The plate comes with black caps that cover the screws. Been thinking about that.

Comment

Working...
          X