Blue Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Smoke

I'm in the final stages of a Turbo build and all is good except for I get allot of blue smoke after cornering hard slow or fast?
    Under boost straight driving no smoke. When i recently changed the oil I put in 6 qts and it was a little overfilled, I drained it down to the full mark and I still get allot of smoke in cornering situations. Are the M42s sensitive to this?
    thanks all

Sounds like your drain from turbo to pan may be being blocked by sloshing oil in the pan. Look inside piping at TB/intake manifold for oil blowing past turbo seal.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, great idea, makes sense but....
      I took the inlet boot off the TB, dry as a bone, I then took the elbow off the discharge of the Turbo also dry, no oil residue.

I'm at a loss, thought I'd drain more oil out to just above the low mark and see if I still have the smoke after cornering....

Comment

Yes, the M42 (and most engines, really) are sensitive to overfilling. However, I maintain my oil level at the full mark during track days and have not had any issues pulling oil past the rings. Any chance you're checking the level on uneven ground and it is reading lower than it actually is? It does sound a bit like an overfilled oil pan.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

After more investigation I think my engine is toast
          Thanks what I get for building and boosting a high mileage stock M42

Anyone have a engine for sale....

Comment

What leads you to believe that? Definitely possible, but I've been running boost for the last 50k miles on an untouched 275k mile bottom end, and it doesn't really burn anything. I wouldn't assume that, just because it's high miles.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

i'll know more in a little while, taking the head off now
              i found water in the oil catch can.....
              could be the head gasket??

Comment

Well, blue smoke is going to be oil (coolant is grey/white, too much fuel is black) so it's not that likely that it's the head gasket causing the smoke. Since you specifically linked the smoking to cornering, you're pretty limited on the things that can be causing it, the top item on the list being oil sloshing such that it somehow gets onto the cylinder bore below the piston. Scraper rings don't work with that much oil volume - limited space between the piston skirt and cylinder bore means that the oil can't be evacuated fast enough and it gets into the combustion chamber.

If it wasn't linked to cornering, there are a lot of other things that can cause it.

Water in the catch can *can* be indicative of coolant in the oil, but you will typically also see some emulsification in the oil, overpressurization of the cooling system, and in severe cases when you drain the oil, you'll get a layer of coolant draining out before oil starts coming out. You'll also see your coolant level dropping over time, often with a corresponding increase in oil level on the dipstick.

Water in the catch can can also come from condensation burning out of the oil if the oil doesn't get hot enough on a regular basis. This is especially true in cold weather, and if you use the car only for shorter trips.

Diagnosing issues is a complicated business, heh.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

blue smoke

Ya need this in the corners ..... harr harr
                  Guy who did my engine hooked me up !!!
                  dlm
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X