First Track Event!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Track Event!

This weekend I am going out to P.I.R. with the BMWCCA Club for my first track event. I read the thread at the top and my dad and I prepped both our cars last weekend (he tracks his E36 m3).

I read the thread at the top was and was just wondering if anyone else had any tips, advice, whatever.

I just need to remember to relax and have fun but still take things seriously at the same time. The butterflies haven't really kicked in yet but tomorrow morning on the way there I'm going to be feeling them :D I'll post up my impressions afterwards, I can't wait!

-John

91 318is | 97 FZJ80

HAVE A BLAST!

It's a fuggin awesome time! Prepare to be addicted!

I expect to see pictures! ;)

lol
    - Sean Hayes

Comment

Lots of water/gatorade
      Don't get the 'red mist'
      You're not racing anybody
      Bring you're power bleeder/extra fluid
      and prepare to want to go back to PIR very shortly after your event! :)

Oh, try to throw a big drift in the highest speed sweeper the track has, instructors love that. :)~

Comment

What Stu said . . . and bring as many spare parts as you can, just in case.

Dont think about going fast - listen to your instructor, and learn smooth - fast will come on its own.

And start saving your money for the next one, and the next one . . . etc.
        Current Cars
        2014 M235i
        2009 R56 Cooper S
        1998 M3
        1997 M3

Comment

Haha yeah. I'll throw a big old scandanavian flick (feint) on the nascar turn 4, I'm sure my instructor will be thrilled ;)

It's funny because one of my dads friend was an instructor out at PIR when he was in AZ (he's in England now, job moved him) and he'd tell us some funny things. One of the things instructors have to do is decide what three words to tell their student incase they get into trouble. One guy was like "both feet in" and our friend goes "Yeah, I decided my phrase would be holy fucking shit!" I still laugh at that.

I'll have to get some gatorade when I'm filling up at QT tonight. Luckily for me I've got some money saved that up that can cover some more track fees when the time comes. If you volunteer to corner marshal at the SCCA, etc club meets at PIR you get a free 1/2 day of track time everytime you work one day. So, I could corner marshal, etc one weekend and get a free day the next time there's an event.

91 318is | 97 FZJ80

Comment

Have fun and try not to scare your instructor...they don't like that.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

And get a few rides with instructors if you can - especially ones with "slow" cars like e30s, e21s or 2002s. It'll change your perspective.
              Current Cars
              2014 M235i
              2009 R56 Cooper S
              1998 M3
              1997 M3

Comment

Today was freakin awesome! Due to a mixup on what class I was registered in I almost didn't get to run but one person didn't show up for the BMWCCA beginner class that day so they had an extra instructor and I went out 4 times. SO much fun!

My instructor was really cool, he's owned two E30's (had an M3 and now he's on a 325) so he was just telling me about tendencies the cars have in certain situations, etc. I gained so much more respect for my car out there, I figured I'd be getting flogged by all the E36 M3's that were out there (there was a ton of them in my group, probablly 7 or 8) but for the most part it was the opposite. My first session I only got to run 2 or 3 laps because I got into it late and the instructors always drive the first 3 but after that I was doing really good.

The E30's are handle so nice on the track, I don't really want to toot my own horn but it felt good to be all over the M3's, a Porsche or two, etc and then have them wave you on by on the straightaways. I would have payed to know what some of the guys were thinking when they were waving by some 17 year old kid in an "old E30" that was only a 318 to boot :D

But there was two other E30's out there, both of them M3's, and one of them that was silver wtih a CF hood was going around the track so damn fast. I really don't know how he was in the beginner class because that guy was all over my ass through the road course section and walked me on the straight. I don't if he had a S50 swap or something but that thing was hauling ass everywhere on the track.

Then on top of all that they had the BMWCCA race that weekend so there were probablly 20+ straight BMW race cars out there, a on of E36 M's and some E30 M's as well. Unfortunately I won't be going tomorrow because A) I really need some sleep and B) I'd have to hope someone didn't show up again to get an instructor to drive with so oh well. They're supposed to be doing another event in January so I'm definitely going to that.

And to think, I thought I'd be getting passed all day long :D

91 318is | 97 FZJ80

Comment

Originally posted by !RocknE30! View Post
                  Today was freakin awesome! Due to a mixup on what class I was registered in I almost didn't get to run but one person didn't show up for the BMWCCA beginner class that day so they had an extra instructor and I went out 4 times. SO much fun!

My instructor was really cool, he's owned two E30's (had an M3 and now he's on a 325) so he was just telling me about tendencies the cars have in certain situations, etc. I gained so much more respect for my car out there, I figured I'd be getting flogged by all the E36 M3's that were out there (there was a ton of them in my group, probablly 7 or 8) but for the most part it was the opposite. My first session I only got to run 2 or 3 laps because I got into it late and the instructors always drive the first 3 but after that I was doing really good.

The E30's are handle so nice on the track, I don't really want to toot my own horn but it felt good to be all over the M3's, a Porsche or two, etc and then have them wave you on by on the straightaways. I would have payed to know what some of the guys were thinking when they were waving by some 17 year old kid in an "old E30" that was only a 318 to boot :D

But there was two other E30's out there, both of them M3's, and one of them that was silver wtih a CF hood was going around the track so damn fast. I really don't know how he was in the beginner class because that guy was all over my ass through the road course section and walked me on the straight. I don't if he had a S50 swap or something but that thing was hauling ass everywhere on the track.

Then on top of all that they had the BMWCCA race that weekend so there were probablly 20+ straight BMW race cars out there, a on of E36 M's and some E30 M's as well. Unfortunately I won't be going tomorrow because A) I really need some sleep and B) I'd have to hope someone didn't show up again to get an instructor to drive with so oh well. They're supposed to be doing another event in January so I'm definitely going to that.

And to think, I thought I'd be getting passed all day long :D

You're hooked. Welcome to the club.

Comment

sound like a blast..

but a 318 passing any ///M in the straights?????
                    90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Comment

Very nice, but always remember, SMOOTH is FAST.
                      I wish there was a road course around here that I could go to...lcuky sob.....
                      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by german g View Post
                        sound like a blast..

but a 318 passing any ///M in the straights?????
                        If you're on somebodys ass through corners and they don't point you by on a straight (even if they're in a higher HP car), that's generally an asshole maneuver.

Comment

dead pedal w/ tracking in mind

you had some fun!!!!!

Its in your blood.....you re getting weary.......

start saving your money......

the mod list will start soon......

I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Yeah cause it means your slowing them down heavily in the corners when they have to wait for you to go through. Anyone can drive in a straight line its about holding speed and finesse through the corners that will make the difference and if someone is keeping you from maximizing your cornering then you might as well be at the dragstrip .
                            253rwhp

My Vids(OLD)
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/aeryk7#p/a/u/0/hS4ZAzSdUdY
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/aeryk7#p/u/2/C-0hnV2k_xU

Comment

I'm so happy for you! The track is a blast no doubt.

it's really fun when you can pass Evo's, STI's and Spec miatas ;)

L love being able to say, "It's got the stock 4-banger". people are like WTF?!

Comment

Working...
                              X